Friday, January 20, 2012

Book {Northanger Abbey}

After the 600 page tome that is The Woman in White (and Frankenstein before that and The Scarlett Letter before that), I thought that I might want a break from all this classics nonsense.  Something light, fluffy, not set in 1800s England.  I went to Barnes & Noble in search of something to fit the bill and discovered that their affordable classics section was on sale.  Buy two get one free.  What's a girl to do?  Well, this girl picked up Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl, and Northanger Abbey.

So instead of taking a break from British Lit, I started Northanger Abbey, which turns out, is just what I needed.  I imagine it is the classic literature equivalent of a modern day "fluff book".  It was quick and easy to read.

Catherine Moreland is 17 and is about to set out on her first adventure in life as she joins Mr. and Mrs. Allen on holiday to Bath, the vacation destination of the day.  There she meets the beautiful and determined Miss Isabella Thorpe and the handsome and charming Mr. Henry Tilney.  Catherine and Isabella become fast friends and Catherine quickly falls in love with Mr. Tilney.  They spend the summer at Bath in various pursuits.  Isabella becomes engaged to Catherine's brother, Isabella's brother seems to think that his engagement to Catherine is certain although she is not at all interested, and then there is Mr. Tilney.  Catherine and Mr. Tilney "form an attachment" and she is invited to spend some time at his home, Northanger Abbey, with his sister and father, General Tilney.  The ending is not really a surprise, but a monkey wrench or two are thrown into the plans.

My only complaint is the end (spoiler coming!).  Jane Austen could have spent a little more time on the wedding instead of summing the whole thing up in a sentence or two.  Pooh.  I wanted more.  I recommend this book to y'all.

I have completely switched gears and am now reading Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl, which is the true account of Harriet Jacobs.  All I can say right now is that slavery and the treatment of slaves is truly abominable.  Its hard to grasp that human beings could treat other human beings so horrifically.

6 comments:

tylerandmommy said...

Definitely gonna have to try this one and I bet it is free on my kindle...hmm. When I have time to read again, that is. I LOVE your book reviews so keep them coming!!

Annie Jarman said...

It probably is free! (And there does come a day when you get to read again! Promise!)

Wendy said...

Have you read Beloved? I didn't like it for other reasons, but it certainly does paint a graphic and horrific picture of slavery. Sometimes it's hard to believe that these twisted practices were happening so recently.

As for Northanger Abbey, I don't think I could read it because it trying to pronounce "Northanger" correctly in my head would drive me nuts. I also hate when main characters have weird names with pronunciations that I have to stop and think about for a split second (or longer), like this Dean Koontz book I just read where one guy's name is Edgler. That's not even a name!

Annie Jarman said...

"Beloved" was one of the books I actually read for school! I believe I liked it for its imagery and symbolism. Of course I couldn't tell you what any of it means now.

Northanger is easy. North anger. But I totally get what you mean. I hate not knowing how to pronounce a name, especially when I have to read it over and over. Nathaniel always got me as a kid. But you should try Northanger Abbey. The Abbey doesnt show up until you're two thirds through.

Wendy said...

See, and I was thinking it was more of a NOR-then-jer. I hate English.

Annie Jarman said...

Hm. That is probably a more accurate pronunciation. Sounds more British. Ah well.