Saturday, March 17, 2012

Book {The Book Thief}

I think that if you have read this book you either loved it or you couldn't get into and didn't finish it.  Does that sound about right?  I loved it.  Very much.  It took me about 80 pages to get into, but once I did it was love.  

This book is the story about a little German girl named Liesel during World War II.  The story starts out with her, her brother and mother traveling by train to Molching, where she (along with her brother) are to be put in foster care with the Hubermans because their mother can no longer take care of them.  Her brother falls ill and dies before the train reaches their destination.  They bury him in a town along the train line.  One of the grave diggers drops his copy of "The Gravedigger's Handbook" and Liesel takes it, thus beginning her career as a book thief.  After the burial, they continue on their way to Molching and Liesel is left with Hans and Rosa Huberman.  Hans is kind and gentle while Rosa is rough and prone to yelling.  Slowly Liesel adjusts to her new life with the Hubermans.  The rest of the book talks about how life changes for Germans once the war has begun.  The Hubermans are not supportive of the Nazi party, but they obviously can't outright declare that.  Eventually they hide a Jewish man in their basement.

I found this book fascinating in so many ways and I wish I had the ability to really tell you my feelings about it.

First, the narrator is Death.  As you can surmise, he is very busy during this time and while he tries to not get attached to humans, he somehow finds himself attached to Liesel, which is how we get her story.  Death is kind and he sorrows for the many souls he has to take, even though it is his job.  I love that characterization of Death, that he isn't hunting us down, just collecting our souls when it is time for them to go.  He cradles them as he takes them away.  I love that.  Death as a comforter.  I found that interesting.

Second, the journey that Liesel and the Hubermans make together is so wonderful.  I love the Hubermans.  I love Rosa, she's tough and crusty, but she's steadfast and she defends those who can not save themselves.  And Hans is exactly the type of person you want when your world is falling apart.  Night after night he sat with Liesel when she would have nightmares about the death of her brother.  He taught her to read.  And Liesel, so determined and good (even though she still books) and even though she is young she can clearly see the injustice of what is happening in her world.

Third, the words.  The words have their own weight, their own substance, as if they are alive.  There is so much wonderful imagery in this whole book involving the words.  They are thrown, they are slid across tables, they reach out and brush the skin.  
"In a tall apartment just around the corner on Munich Street, an old lady with a foreboding voice deciphered for everyone the exact source of the commotion.  Up high, in the window, her face appeared like a white flag with moist eyes and an open mouth.  Her voice was like suicide, landing with a clunk at Liesel's feet."
"Before they proceeded to their respective homes, Rudy's voice reached over and handed Liesel the truth. For a while, it sat on her shoulder, but a few thoughts later, it made its way into her ear."
"The sound of crying children kicked and punched." 
"Her wrinkles were like slander.  Her voice was akin to a beating with a stick."
"At first, Liesel could not talk.  Perhaps it was the sudden bumpiness of love she felt for him.  Or had she always loved him?  It's likely.  Restricted as she was from speaking, she wanted him to kiss her.  She wanted him to drag her hand across and pull her over.  It didn't matter where.  Her mouth, her neck, her cheek.  Her skin was empty for it, waiting."
I just adore that, "Her skin was empty for it, waiting."

More than anything about this book I loved the words.  Markus Zusak wields them masterfully and it was such a joy to have things described in such vivid ways.

Read it if you haven't.  If you couldn't get through it, try again.




1 comment:

Wendy said...

"They are thrown, they are slid across tables, they reach out and brush the skin." Seems Mr. Zusak isn't the only writer to be spoken of in this post.