Thursday, March 7, 2013

Books: Glamour in Glass & Island of Bones

I am currently avoiding thinking about this event that I'm supposed to be planning and executing decorations for tomorrow.  I can feel the anxiety rising, so I'm going to ignore it for a little bit longer, which is probably counter-productive to my mental health.

I have finished two books recently.  The first was "Glamour in Glass" by Mary Robinette Kowal.  It is the second in the Glamour series.  I read the first one, "Shades of Milk and Honey" before I started keeping track of things here.  I enjoyed both books.  Jane is the main character and the book is set in the same time period as Jane Austen's books in England.  (In fact, Jane the character, is in homage to Jane the author.)  Jane is an adept glamourist.  Glamour is a kind of magic/illusion that is used to make things (usually homes) prettier and more enjoyable.  Glamour is pulled from the ether that exists in nature.  I'm not clear on the details of the first book and I don't want to give anything away for the second, so I won't say much.  "Glamour in Glass" deals mostly with Jane trying to figure out if it is possible to "record" glamour so that it can be moved from place to place and reproduced, which has been heretofore impossible.  Somehow she winds up getting caught up in Napoleon's escape from Elba and return to France.  These books are very easy reads and while the author gives some mystery and intrigue it's kind of shallow and by that I mean the plots are not very complex.  But they are worthwhile if you're looking for something entertaining but does not require a whole lot of effort on your part to keep track of things.

The second book, "Island of Bones", is a murder mystery by Imogen Robertson.  It is the third book in the Crowther & Westerman series.  (First is "Instruments of Darkness", reviewed here, and the second is "Anatomy of Murder", reviewed here.)  I just love these books.  I love the characters and Robertson is an incredible writer.  My only complaint in this book is that I figured out who the bad guy was way too soon and I felt like the characters should have figured it out sooner, too.  Seriously, pick them up if you need something to read.

I have started "The Far Pavillions" by M.M. Kaye.  It was recommended to me by an old friend.  It is a huge book, so I imagine it will take me a while to get through.

Happy reading!

No comments: