Friday, November 25, 2011

Book: Frankenstein


Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

This is the third book I've read from the list of books every high schooler should read and I have to say I am getting sick of them already.  No wonder I didn't read these!

Y'all know the story of Frankenstein, right?  Frankenstein (who is not a doctor, by the way, but only a student, as far as I can tell) endeavors to create life, which he does.  When the creature comes to life (not by a lightening bolt, also by the way), Frankenstein is horrified and runs away like a little girl.  He is so horrified by what he has done that he wanders the streets in terror trying to escape the monster, who he thinks is following him.  He becomes ill and is nursed back to health over the course of a few months by his friend.  They spend another year or so at school before returning to Geneva (without any other appearance of the creature) where they discover that Frankenstein's youngest brother was murdered by....?  You guessed it, the monster.  And so it goes.  More people die and Frankenstein subsequently either "falls ill" or goes bonkers.  The monster tries to convince Frankenstein to make him a wifey so that he isn't alone in a world where the very sight of him makes grown men cry.  Of course, this goes badly.  You'll have to read the book to find out what happens.  

It seemed like most of the book was spent describing the scenery and each stop on the many, many journeys Frankenstein took throughout Europe.  I skipped much of that.  Who cares, really?  And Frankenstein is not a very sympathetic character.  He was so weak and afraid and was sick so much because of the things that happened to him as a result of the very bad thing he did.  I wanted him to man up and take responsibility and stop running.  What a wuss.  

The monster, on the other hand, I totally get.  I think that if I had been created in that manner and shunned by my very creator, having no one else to answer to and not a single being on the face of the planet who didn't detest the very sight of me, I'd gladly open a few dozen cans of whoop a** on the whole lot.  I'm just saying.  I totally get it.

Basically, I did not enjoy this book.  I just wanted more action!  I wanted a bone-chilling horror story that kept me biting my nails!  As it is, my nails are perfectly trimmed.  Oh well.  I'm glad I can check that one off my list.

The next book I'm going to read is not on that reading list.  I picked up The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins at Barnes & Noble the other day.  Funny story, the first I ever heard mention of this book was some interview I saw years ago with Sarah Jessica Parker and she mentioned that this was her very favorite book.  I don't know why that stuck with me.  I can't be considered a SJP fan and her opinions about things have no sway upon me, but I've always remembered that interview.

Anyway, I don't know what I was thinking.  It's 600+ pages long of 19th Century English.  My brain is still numb from Frankenstein.  I may need a fluff book before I dive into that.   Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Grandma Cebe said...

I have a book you can borrow. The book was written by a gal in the 18th ward. It's her first book, enjoyable, and an easy read. She's a prolific blogger and writer in general.

Kelly said...

Having read Woman in White, it is way better than Frankenstein. There's a mystery that you need to solve. I'm not sure I'd call it a nail biter but it's definitely more interesting than Mr. Frankenstein.