Thursday, August 23, 2012

Baked, not grilled.

Once upon a time I went to Scotland with my family. I was sick nearly the entire trip, so the good memories were few. One was the most delicious grilled cheese sandwich I had ever had. It was from some pub that wouldn't allow my siblings and I to enter the dining room. My dad somehow convinced them to let us eat in a different room. Anyway, I had a grilled cheese with sliced tomatoes. It was divine, perfectly toasted, crunchy bread on the outside, warm and soft on the inside with melty, gooey cheese. I have tried over the years to replicate it, but to no avail. Always slightly burnt or cheese not quite melted all the way.

But then, my friends, Pinterest entered my life and one pin changed my grilled cheese seeking life. It's amazingly simple.

Preheat your oven to 450. Put two cookie sheets in the oven as it preheats. Prepare your sandwich. Place your sandwich on one cookie sheet. Place the other cookie sheet on top of your sandwich, bake 5-10 minutes. Done. Perfection.

4 comments:

Grandma Cebe said...

Terrific! I may just make me a "grilled" cheese sandwich for dinner tonight.

Annie Jarman said...

I also recommend grating the cheese instead of slicing. (That's a Martha Stewart trick.)

melissa said...

What kind of cheese did you use?

Annie Jarman said...

I used sharp cheddar, but let's be honest, the possibilities are endless.