I was at the store the other day getting deodorant and toothpaste for my husband. (We don't use the same kind of toothpaste, is that weird? I'd think that most married couples do, but we are both very particular about our toothpaste. Anyway...) As I turned down the aisle there is this guy dressed head to toe in black, and I think I see him put something in his pocket, so immediately my mind starts racing... Do I turn him in? Do I not? How can I be sure he really had pocketed something? So I mosey on down the aisle, casually grabbing deodorant and shaving cream (remember, I went in for toothpaste, not shaving cream) and decide that I needed to turn him in. So when I got to the register I told my checker about the guy with the disclaimer that I
thought I had seen him put something in his pocket, but I couldn't be sure. So she told the manager, but when she came back she said she didn't think there was much they could do if one of "their own" hadn't seen him. I'm glad they didn't do anything, to be honest, because having thought about it, it could just as easily been his cell phone he was putting back in his pocket instead of a bottle of Neutrogena facial cleanser. In fact, I'm almost convinced it was his cell phone. I found it interesting, though, that in that moment I wavered on whether or not I should report him. What was I afraid of? Did I think he'd come after me? Yell at me? And so what if he did? He was the potential criminal, not me, and we seem to be letting criminals (even potential criminals) get away with far too much these days. So we ought to all stand up for integrity, like we proclaim we do and not waiver in moments of proving that integrity. Anyway, those are my thoughts on that. Oh, and it wasn't until later that night that I realized I had gotten shaving cream instead of toothpaste. What can I say? I was frazzled.
********************************************************************************
My one and a half year old and I are having communication problems, which isn't too surprising since his vocabulary is limited to such words as "ball!", "doggie!", "cracker!" and "duckie!", and contains none of the more helpful phrases such as "I'm sleepy!", "I'm hungry!" and "I'm bored!". That would be awesome. "Mommy, I'm really tired and this book here just isn't doing it for me. Could you get your butt off the couch and put me to bed, please? Thanks." Wouldn't that be so great?! Tell me what it is you need and I'll take care of it! But, as it is, he hasn't mastered that level of communication (I think few people have, in my experience) and so we butt heads a lot. I believe he has arrived at those "Terrible Twos" and, unfortunately, I have very little patience and/or energy these days to properly diffuse these situations before they get out of hand. I find myself throwing my hands up in the air and saying with a loaded sigh "Fine!!" Not good parenting, I know, and that makes me wonder if I'm even cut out for this most important of jobs. Does it make me a bad parent if I let my kid walk around with a sippy cup in his mouth? Is my child doomed if he hauls around his blankie and/or stuffed monkey? I don't know. I don't think it does, although I know a couple of people who would say that it really, truly does. I think my kid is happy. I think he feels secure and is pretty well-adjusted. However, I still have guilt. And lots of it. There are so many things I'm supposed to be doing as mom that I'm not and I don't want my kid to be disadvantaged in anyway. But I'm not supermom. I'm just a girl with a kid. And we ain't talking right now. That's okay. I know he loves me and I sure love him. I'm sure he'll be just fine.
4 comments:
It's funny, I don't know if our moms' generation ever had the obscene amount of parenting guilt that most of us seem to have. I clearly remember the tv being on a lot, and lots of unsupervised playtime, and yet, I somehow grew up to be a reasonably productive adult. I think moms (and mom magazines) are a bit too neurotic these days. Just watch, once you have a few of those little creatures running around, you'll be proud of yourself if they're all dressed by noon- and there's nothing wrong with that!
What would motherhood be without guilt?
P.S. You're a good mommy. DOn't worry!
If it weren't for guilt than you wouldn't want to become a better mom, which in a roundabout way means you are actually an excellent mom for caring sooo much on how your child is doing, and how you are doing as a parent. Make sense? Kids never came with directions...he's not hungry,not hurt,not cold, and not unloved. He's exactly the opposite of those things. Think of it this way, he's in the terrible twos and his constant need to want to do things his way means he will be a determined young man when he gets older. Only a few moments of insanity for unconditional love- what could be better than that?
-Marie
Post a Comment