Friday, April 20, 2012

Pray with me.

Thanks to my cousin's wife, I now know about the Blogger app. At this moment I am sitting in a McDonald's PlayLand. Blogging on the go? Please and thank you!

It's strange to think that not so long ago we had to use things dial up Internet and we thought we were so free! Nowadays, being tied to a desktop computer is almost like a burden. So funny. I think the Blogger app will change my life just like Instagram did. No more having to wait to get to my computer to write a post.

Anyway, I'm not really writing today to tell you how technology is blowing mind at the moment. I do have a purpose here.

I think.

I've had a couple moments this week with Aidan (my eldest) that have been really good reminders of being patient. I mean being patient with results and lessons finally sinking in. I have a really hard time when I don't see my kids understanding the lessons right away and I constantly have to tell myself to chill out.

We pray every night with our children. Not too long ago Aidan was having a pretty intense problem with being afraid. Mostly of being alone, having to go into his room alone, even going to the bathroom alone. It was a huge ordeal. At night we'd pray for him, that he wouldn't be afraid, but he didn't want to believe the prayers would work. After a few weeks they did and we talked about how Heavenly Father was helping him to not be afraid, but I don't think he was totally sold on the idea of his prayers being answered. Or so I thought.

Two days ago he was playing with his Legos. I was reading a book and heard him quietly mumbling something to himself. Out loud he said something like, "maybe that prayer will help me find my Lego head!".

Friends, that is the first time, I believe, he has ever thought to say a prayer for help on his own. It... I don't know what the right word is to describe how I felt. I was in awe. It was so sweet. Of course he found what he was looking for and on he played.

I'm not very good at having morning prayers with the kids, but this morning we did and we prayed for help to be kind and for Aidan to do well at school and to be good. When I picked him up he told me that he had won a ticket today from his teacher for being good and he got to go the office and get a treat. He said, "Mom! That prayer this morning really worked!"

I'm just amazed, friends. Really amazed. It's a lesson to me that I need to remember that these things take time and I need to actively increase my patience when things aren't happening as quickly or as correctly as my OCD thinks they should.


3 comments:

Annie said...

Blogger app, oh my, I think it's going to change my life too! :) And way to go you awesome Mommy!

Gena said...

I just told Spencer, "Annie mentioned me on her blog!" lol But in all seriousness, that's a sweet story. I think it's so easy to get ahead of ourselves as moms, but like you said, if we can just learn to be patient, things come along just fine because we're doing what we can to raise them the right way. And sometimes I really wish we lived closer to you so I could 1. actually meet you and 2. go to McD's playplace with you because that's something we do every now and then too.

Annie Jarman said...

Gena, agreed! Someday we will meet and it will be glorious! I wish I could gather all of my family and friends have them nearby! Why does everyone have to live so far away?!