I found The Maternal Lens blog through Miriam over at Anchor and Bird yesterday. (She has a wonderful blog. You should go check her out. Really. Go.) It looked like fun so I joined their Flickr group and submitted some photos. And just look!
And now for the news:
I'm closing down Little Fire Photography. Why? Well, because I didn't like it. Taking portraits and photographing weddings is incredibly stressful and time-consuming and it isn't as much fun as it should be. Plus going into business for myself was never something I ever wanted to do.
I just want to take photos without the pressure of getting it right for a client. Those ballet photos really opened my eyes up to that. I had so much fun and I don't think I've taken better photos. At least I haven't loved any photos I've taken like I love those.
So away with Little Fire. I'm not saying I'll never snap another portrait again, but I just don't want to stress about making money and building clientele and paying taxes and abiding by tax laws, etc. If any of you really want me to do your photos, ask me nicely and I'm sure we can come up with some kind of arrangement. :)
Peace.
7 comments:
I know what you mean! But you won't stay away too long... :)
Congrats on being decisive...a trait I am highly lacking in. If you ever come to Maryland I would like to come up with some sort of "Arrangement" involving you giving me any pics you take and vice versa...ha ha. Come visit me!! (I know...it's getting old, but persistance IS one of my traits).
I don't blame you. Being an entrepreneur is a huge burden sometimes- and it usually hits you right around the time you meet with your CPA. (Well, for us anyway.) Do what you love, the money will follow... that's what they say, right? Besides, now you can focus on being a dance photographer. (I'm just going to keep encouraging you to do that. Because those photos were breathtaking.)
P.S. Congratulations on being chosen for the Maternal Lens!
Ashleigh: I know, huh? It's like a siren call!
Candis: One of these days I'll reply to your request with a resounding YES!! We can certainly devise some kind of "arrangement"!
Wendy: I wonder how one becomes a dance photographer? And I'm not talking about the recital pics photographer. BOR-ing! And I wonder if I was somehow able to become such a photographer if it would be a conflict of interest, considering my current employment... I think that would be my dream gig, though. Seriously.
Damien suggested that you simply take photos of dancers whenever possible (and permitted), and then compile everything into a book and sell it. Gorgeous photography books have a whole section at B&N. Yours could be amongst them.
Woot woot! i am glad you can do what you love without all of the pressure. you are super talented though- go you!
Post a Comment