Friday, May 8, 2009

To Pee or Not To Pee? That is the question.

I hereby relinquish the responsibility of making sure Aidan goes to the bathroom. I wave the white flag. I am finished. If Aidan needs to go potty he will have to do it by himself without my nagging, goading, begging, threatening or bribing. If he pees his pants because he has waited too long, so be it. I will heretofore be unaffected and unswayed by his anguished potty dance or circle pacing whilst holding his "pee". I will cease to argue with him when he bellows "I caaaaaAAAAAANNN'T!!!" even though we both know that he is perfectly capable.

I will no longer feed the fire of neediness. It is time this boy starts to learn about helping himself. I am finished.

5 comments:

tylerandmommy said...

I know I shouldn't laugh at this post, but it really did make me giggle. Tyler tells me "no Mommy, is not my turn!" whenever I ask him if he has to go pee. Granted, he is still in diapers. He has been poop trained since I dunno like November or something, but is destined to pee his diaper for years to come. I think your method is good - try it and see what happens. I bet Aidan won't like wet pants, especially if he can't sit on anything while wearing them. Good LUck!!

Annie Get Your Camera said...

It's okay, you can laugh. :)

Lucky you you don't have to change poopy diapers! I hate that! You should just take Tyler's diaper off him, put him in underwear and then let nature take it's course. I bet he won't like sitting in wet pants either!

The Shelton's said...

You is funny girlfriend!! I don't think I ever posted about this, but after we got back from spring break Marcus totally regressed. After having been potty-trained for over a year he was just holding his poop in for no reason whatsoever. It was funny at first, but then he was making himself sick because he refused to poop. I kid you not he would be shaking all over his body because the poop was like, let me out and Marcus was saying, no stay in!! It was the strangest week of my life. At night when he would fall asleep he would relax enough and then poop his pants. Finally after about a week he figured things out again, but I felt like I had potty-trained him all over again!! At first I was totally babying him, but then I was like wait a sec, you're potty-trained!! Once I remembered that I went about my week as usual and he messed himself several times when we were out and I made him stay in wet clothes. Funny how he was cured not too long after that! Those boys and their bathroom issues. The kid makes me do a cheer after everytime he poops. Even if it's during sacrament meeting and he went and did a dookie with daddy, he has to come back into the chapel and tell me really loudly that he POOPED! Great son, great. Oh, and for some reason we don't pee, we peep. So in our house Marcus has peeped or pooped and we must all still do a cheer even after all this time. Ugh.

Annie Get Your Camera said...

Ha ha! Peeped! That's funny! I think Aidan's issue is that Emily still gets a lot things done for her and so he thinks he should have things done for him, too. Emily is starting to get interested in the potty (hallelujah!) and she sometimes wants to sit on the potty and when that happens Aidan gets all put out and says "I'M going potty FIRST!" Never pleased with what he's got, that one.

Grandma Cebe said...

I like your approach. After a few times, wetting himself, he'll be all grown up.