Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I've got bum feet.

I have for a really long time, and if I had the inclination to do so, I'd link you all back to the posts where I whine and moan and complain about them, but I'll spare you that.

I think I've always had bad feet. I remember as a kid walking the mall with my grandmother trying to decide what I should choose as a birthday present and after 3 hours of searching (I was indecisive, I think I settled on a book of scary stories) I could take no more and was forced to sit down on the two inches available on the bottom shelf of a bookcase in Borders.

I also remember hating and dreading hiking. Pioneer Trek was a nightmare. Towards the end of the first day (10 miles, if memory serves) I felt as if my feet were going to break apart into a million tiny little pieces in spite of my sturdy hiking boots. One of the boys in my "family" (who I happened to have a crush on) commented on my "strut". Little did he know that that it wasn't so much a strut as it was a limp and that I was doing all I could to keep putting one foot in front of the other. About 100 yards from the campsite one of the leaders (I think it was my bishop) put me on a horse and let me ride the rest of the way.

Ballet wasn't too bad, surprisingly, but there was a time or two after some pretty intense jumping exercises that I was brought to my knees because even standing on my feet was not possible. Maybe the stretching and strengthening of ballet helped my feet.

I never did anything about it because my experience with doctors has usually been "Oh, you're fine. There's nothing wrong." Therefore, I adapted. I sat as much as I could and forgot all about the pain in my feet. It seemed to work alright for awhile. I was a couch potato, but my feet didn't hurt.

Then I had kids and kids make it near impossible to live a leisurely lifestyle. I was pregnant with Em when I paid my first visit to a Podiatrist. There he fitted me with orthotics, dooming me to a life of unstylish shoes of a more practical nature. But things have not gotten better and have actually gotten worse.

So, to wrap up this lovely, completely intoxicatingly interesting post, the point is, I'm going to have to have surgery that the doctor can't guarantee will work, but is the best option anyway. He'll go in and clean out the Sinus Tarsi (or the cavity where the ankle bones and foot bones meet on the outside of your foot).

I don't even know why I wrote all this. It's not interesting and it's not important, but I'm sitting here on my couch feeling guilty that I don't want to get up and be more engaging for my children who are arguing and not sharing and throwing tantrums. But the pain zaps me of any desire to get up and play. So for them I think I have to get this surgery because if it works, it will improve our lives and they will have a better mommy for it.

10 comments:

Ashleigh said...

Good luck! I hope that it will help!

Katie said...

:( i'm so sorry. i had no idea how much pain you were in. let us know if you do have surgery. and good luck!

Jocie said...

Good luck! I also have awful feet, well ankles I think. Dancing helped me alot, but only if I ran around barefoot for hours and HOURS! Then I was good. Um, it has worn off by now. I don't know why I run because I get hurt after every race. Family peer pressure will do that I guess.

tylerandmommy said...

I feel your pain, woman. In a different part of my feet none the less, but I feel it. I REALLY hope the surgery works and that you get some relief. At least enough to chase your kiddos around. And on that note...I need to email you with a proposition...please remind me since I can't seem to remember.

Grandma Cebe said...

Ok, mother's guilt kicking in here. I knew you have had problems with your feet as an adult. But why didn't I pick up on this when you were younger?? Did you complain and I didn't listen?

I support your decision for surgery. Just try to avoid having it prior to Sept 10 and 11. I'm working a temp job those days.

Annie Get Your Camera said...

Mom, I think my complaining came in the form of "I don't want to go hiking! I don't want to go skiing!", etc. And when I was younger they didn't bother me all the time like they do now, only when I was walking on them for a very long time. I don't think that I thought that there was anything to be done about it.

So, feel guilty no more.

And everyone else, thank you!

Wendy said...

Good luck, Annie! I hate that they can't guarantee it'll work, but it's worth a shot! I wish I could be there to bring you dinner. Make sure you ask your RS president to have people do that once your Mom is done taking care of you (buys you a couple extra days of recuperation).

Annie said...

I'm good for a dinner! I mean bringing you one. I'm not exactly a cook, so it might be a pizza, but I will still deliver it! Along with flowers and sympathy. I also offer a listening ear and sympathetic hug that can be redeemed at any time (pre or post surgery) and have unlimited refills.

Kelly said...

Dude! I'm gone for a week, come back and people need surgery! Let me know when it is and I'll help out any way I can. I hope this works for you!

Nicole said...

wow, that's awful. crazy that ballet didn't bother your poor feet more than it did. best of luck with the surgery--i hope it works!