Friday, July 1, 2011

It's a surgery post!

Ugh.  I'm kind of sick of that last picture I posted on here.  I had a marvelous few weeks in review post planned for y'all, complete with pictures, but lets be honest, that ain't going to happen.  Just so you know, I have a rockin' blog in my head that gets updated nearly daily.  It's pretty fabulous and if I could insert a USB cable into my brain and download the contents of said blog, I'd be famous.  Oh well.

Aidan had his tonsils removed yesterday.  Oh wait, first I wanted to show you how cute my kids have gotten.



Super cute, huh?

Well, like I said, Aidan had his tonsils removed yesterday.  Everything went really well, as my rational brain knew it would.  Being a mother and a nervous one at that, not to mention the tendency to go to worst case scenarios, I was surprised at how easy and quick and untraumatic it really was.

Here we are getting vitals taken.  They also gave him some "sleeping medicine", which resulted in him acting like what I imagine a 5 year old drunk would act like.  It was pretty funny.

Here we are waiting for the doctors to come get him.  He was trying to color, but being drunk, it didn't work out so well.  The doctors came and whisked him off in a wagon with his blankie, Sunshine Bear and Adventure Dog.  He was more than happy to go because, again, he was drunk.  Travis and I went to the waiting room to... you got it, wait.  We got caught up on our Words With Friends and Hanging With Friends games while we waited.  Thank you IHC for free wireless.

When he was coming out of the anesthesia he asked me first if his tonsils were gone, then the next time he resurfaced he asked "Mom, did they secretly take my tonsils out?"  He was very worried they were going to take them out while he was awake in spite of my assurances that he would not be awake.  I guess he was baffled that they were gone and he had no memory of it at all.

Some kids sleep anywhere at anytime.  My kids are not that way.  They don't fall asleep on the couch or in random locations unless they aren't feeling well and even that is a rare occurrence.  I don't know why, but that bums me out a little, so it warms my heart when they do.

Anyway, eventually the anesthesia was out of his system and he was feeling pretty good.  Loritab will do that to you, am I right?

So now we chill out until he's recovered.  We've stocked up on the essentials:
 Water, pudding and a pot to puke in.

 Ice cream with marshmallows.

 A new toy to distract him from his discomfort.  (Although, with the loritab, I'm pretty sure he thinks he can climb the Empire State Building no problem.)  (And by the way, Transformers are ridiculous.  I mean, do they even test these toys out on kids?!  This was supposed to be a level 2 for 5+.  Yeah right, Hasbro.  Yeah right.)

And Banagrams on the iPod.  (He came up with that word all by his lonesome.  Ok, I did have to remind him that U is Q's bestfriend, other than that, it was all him.  Just saying.  My kid's pretty smart.)

Things have been smooth sailing except for this morning when we waited a little bit too long to get him his drugs, but he slept well last night and has been pretty cheerful today.  We'll see what happens when those scabs come off.  Apparently that's pretty wonderful.

4 comments:

melissa said...

Your kids HAVE gotten so cute and good for you for keeping it together during the not-so-traumatic trama. Hope he continues to recover well.

Word up about Transformers. I've never felt like more of an idiot than when I spent Harrison's entire fifth birthday trying to transform one. (Even long after he had gone to bed.)

Grandma Cebe said...

Thanks for the pictoral recap of the big event. I hope he continues to sail through his recovery.

Jocie said...

Good Luck! hope it goes super well!

And yea, Transformers are a joke! I remember them being easy, only 4 or 5 pieces moved. These new ones are RE-DIC-U-LOS!

Wendy said...

Yeesh, he IS smart.
And they're both cute.
Kids + anesthesia = priceless.
Glad it went well, glad he's feeling awesome, glad you lived through it, too.
But, yeah... the whole scabs falling off thing? Let's just say any time you have to SWALLOW SCABS, it's not going down in the record books as a day you will remember fondly. Hopefully he'll still be riding the Loritab train when that happens.