Sunday, May 27, 2007

Hunker Down

Well, after three or four months of sort-of looking for a place to live, we've decided, on the suggestion of my parents (suprisingly), to just hunker down and stay with them until Travis is done with school which translates into roughly one more year with the 'rents. Some of you free birds out there might be wondering why? The answer, simply put, is because it's right. We initially started looking because at the beginning of the year, shortly after we announced we were expecting the second of our brood, my parents sat us down and told us while they enjoyed having us here, it was probably a good idea if we started to venture out on our own, an opinion that was whole-heartedly shared by ourselves. So the search began without much in the way of fruitfulness. We looked at a couple places, put in applications to a few, but nothing ever came of it. We even thought of looking into buying a townhome, but that didn't feel right either. Our search started to slow down and we started to feel like maybe moving out wasn't right. My parents' had begun to say things like "Take your time" and "There's no rush" and "Stay as long as you like". And then they started saying, "You ought to just stay until Travis graduates." Um... okay? Sometime in the past four months my parents changed their minds, I guess. I think it probably has more to do with them not wanting Aidan to leave than with Travis and I hanging around, and they'd probably agree. For whatever reason, though, I'm glad for it. Don't get me wrong, I want to move out but I want it to be the right time and I want it to be something that we are as ready for as we can be. Not that we'll be set when we do move out, I don't expect that to be the case, and I expect there to be struggles, but I don't think we need to make it harder on ourselves than we have to, especially if we have an opportunity to just wait. Living with my parents has been a blessing, even with the hard times, and I'm beginning to see that more and more. So we stay. We wait it out and in the end we'll be in a better place.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Well, hey, at least there's no more apartment-hunting stress! That's the last thing any pregnant woman needs!