Monday, July 16, 2007

Thoughts On Today

#1: I went to my doctor today (which reminds me again that I still need to make an appointment for Aidan's check up) for my monthly check up. Much to my surprise she said she'd see me in two weeks! Am I really at that point?! I really can't believe it! My husband pointed out Saturday that I have about eight Saturdays left before this little girl makes her appearance! Eight?! That's it?! I am amazed at how quickly this pregnancy has gone by and that makes me realize how quickly time is going by period. Not two years ago I was in the same place with Aidan, waiting anxiously for him to come into this world and now he's this crazy, smart, funny toddler running around, saying things like "dinahorse" and "Why?". I am so sad that it has gone by in such a blur and I haven't done a better job of chronicling his life thus far, so many great moments that are lost to time because I didn't bother to write them down. And I'm beginning to truly believe it when all those mothers tell me that one day they are babies and the next they're graduating high school, or going on missions or off to college, or getting married and having their own babies. It's amazing how having children makes the days and years fly by. So before I know it, this little girl who is currently jabbing my ribs AND hip bones simultaneously, will be two or three and I'll find myself wondering how we got there so quickly.

#2: There's a building on the northwest corner of 400 South and 500 East that my husband and I refer to as the Neff Floral Building, as it used to be owned many years ago by Neff Floral, but for the past four or five years it has been vacant and has pretty much fallen into disrepair. It's pretty much an eyesore. It's a peach-ish color, with black tile on the outside. Windows are broken and boarded up. Occasionally there is graffiti that is painted over in varying shades of peach. Some day I'll take a picture of it. For whatever reason this building has not been sold or leased. The owners are probably asking too much for it. It needs a lot of work. A ton. The inside is very much gutted. But it's an excellent location for a business as it's on one of the busiest streets in the city. The Trax train runs right past it. Anyway, I have always thought that it would be a cool building to own but I never knew what kind of business I would run from it. Then I got married and showed the building to my husband he loved it too. For the past year and a half or so we have been daydreaming about how awesome it would be to own that building and run Little Fire Photography & Design (our fledgling company) from it. We talk about how in ten or fifteen years when we're established and ready to make that kind of leap we'd buy it (because, of course, it would be up for sale then) and make it our headquarters. We figure by then someone will have bought it and remodeled it. That or they'd tear it down, which is too sad to think about. Anyway, I'm going on and on about this, but I always think about that whenever I drive by it, as I did today. I love that building.

#3: My poor baby is sick! I hate it when he's sick! I'm one of those people who jump right to the worst case scenario. If he has a cough it's pneumonia and we'll end up in the hospital or worse. Is anyone else like that? It's so annoying. But Aidan's sick and that makes me worry. I guess it's a mommy thing. I'm glad he's a happy sick kid, though. You wouldn't really think anything is wrong with him and would probably chalk his sometimes grumpy behavior to being two. I like that about him. But I still hope he gets better soon. I'm tired of changing nuclear diapers.

#4: I finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix today. Phew! I didn't think I'd make it before we go to see it on Monday, but thank goodness I did! Now all I have to do is race through book six before I get book seven! I have to say I'm pretty impressed with myself. I've read five whole Harry Potter books in the space of three months or so. Not bad considering they get progressively longer (the last one was nearly 900 pages) and I don't have much time. It's been really nice to read books again. I've missed it.

That's it. Thanks for reading this whole boring thing. If you did.

9 comments:

Wendy said...

Chronicle-shcmonicle. your blog will serve as a great chronicle- every once in a while just tell us about funny things he says and does, or what amazes you about him today.

And i think I'm the only person in America who does not get what all the uproar about Harry Potter is about. Read the first book, didn't really like it. I've seen all the movies because my roommate was part of the craze, and now my husband loves the movies, but I just find them... boring, frankly. Anyone else feel the same way? Anyone care to shed some light on what it is I'm missing?

Annie Get Your Camera said...

I think you either love Harry Potter or you don't. You get it or it just seems overrated. To be fair, the first book is not the best book of the series. They get better. You also have to keep in mind that these ARE children's books. But for me it's just the fantasy of it all (I've always loved the idea of magic) and an interesting story about this boy who has this destiny of greatness and the struggles and trials he goes through to achieve that greatness as he gets older. And the movies are nowhere near as good as the books because they cut SO much out and change things in the movies. The only reason I can watch the movies is because I know the real story. That sounds strange, but it's probably more out of curiosity on my part to see how the directors and writers envision the world of Harry Potter compared to how I do.

Anyway, nice essay, huh? Give it another chance and if you don't like it, eh. You'll survive, I'm sure. :)

Holly said...

I also haven't got on the Harry Potter train, I never even read the first one. I want to, though, to see what the fuss is about. But reading your comment, they sound interesting. Maybe I should try the first one out.

I also feel tons of guilt about not documenting my kids' cute, crazy, funny, being kids moments. sometimes I think, "there is no way I will ever forget this" then I do almost within seconds it seems like. Maybe all those memories will come flooding back when we have a few seconds to actually think.

Annie Get Your Camera said...

If either of you decide to embark on the Harry Potter train, you must read them in order. Each book is one year in his life. If you don't it might not all make sense. :)

I decided last month that I was going to do a better job of keeping a "history" of my kids so I started one blog for Aidan and one for the new babe. My husband and I are the only ones who can read it and post to it for now. I'm trying to post at least once a week. (We'll see how long that lasts once Emily comes.) Anyway, thought I'd share that idea with any of you who are interested.

Sue said...

Totally hear you on #1. It flashes by so freaking fast.

I love your building dream - I hope that you DO get to buy that building someday. We have a lot of dreams like that.

I hope Aidan is feeling better! No fun when kids are sick.

I like Harry Potter. I don't love him or get all excited about it, but I like it. I used to read lots of books about magic and witches when I was a little kid, and I remember just loving them. The whole idea of magic. I can imagine that if I'd read these books as a kid, I would LOVE them.

Sue said...

OK, I just left a big old comment and it disappeared. Boo. I've read all of the Harry Potter books and I like them. I'm not biting my nails for the next one to come out or anything, but I think they are really well written juvenile fiction. I can see that if I'd read them as a kid I would totally ADORE them. I used to love books about magic when I was little.

Hope Aidan is feeling better and I hope you WILL get to buy that building someday. Great idea on the blogs for kids. I am such a loser, Jake doesn't even have a baby book yet.

Sue said...

OH. Duh. Comment moderation is on.

Sue said...

How embarrassing.

mom2nine said...

The last time I saw Mark's family, Jaren asked me to tell him a story about when his dad was a little boy. My mind was entirely blank!! I mean, Mark was a cute and funny little kid, so what happened to all of those little events in my memory? Write it down, because, yeah,you think you will never forget; but before you know it, they HAve grown up, and you HAVE forgotten, and you will have to wait for your "life review" after you die to remember all those great stories!