Sunday, December 16, 2007

Christmas Cheer

Ah, Christmas with a two year old. We've been having "fun" this week with some Christmas activities. I want our family to have fun traditions and all that. At our ward Christmas party the center pieces were gingerbread houses and I thought to myself, "Wow, that looks like fun! I bet Aidan would like to do that." So, since I'm not really baking inclined, we searched the stores for a kit. We went to Target first thinking for sure they'd have something, but no. We did find one at Smith's Marketplace. The box sat on our counter for four days before we got to it, each day Aidan asking "Build my house? Build my house?" and then screaming at the top of his lungs when we told him "Not yet." Eventually we did, but it took us two days because the instructions said that the frosting had to set for two-three hours before we could put the roof on the walls and then the roof had to set for at least an hour before we could add decorations, so with naps and lunches and dinners and, well, bedtime it took us two days. The first day Aidan was extremely impatient and I found myself saying in a less than patient tone "We are trying to have family fun time so you better knock it off!" Yeah... Not one of my finer moments. Anyway, here is Aidan finally getting to decorate his house:


And this is the house that love built... well, what's left of it. There used to be a sugar snowman, but all the sudden it was gone and Aidan was giggling through a mouth full of sugar.

Next we attempted Gingerbread Men, part of a 12 Days of Christmas package that was sent to us by my brother-in-law, Kirk's family (which we have been enjoying so much! Thanks Laurie!). This time I got the cookies all ready for Aidan to decorate before I even mentioned it to him, which helped in the tantrum throwing arena. He had a grand old time putting Smarties and Nerds and red hots on his cookies, then taking them off and putting them back on again. Here is proof that I actually do exist in this family:

These are the ones I decorated. Nice, huh?


Aidan about to take a bite.

The end result. We had some casualties.

All in all, it has been a lot of fun. I think I'm going to venture into the world of neighbor gifts this year, so we'll see how that goes. Hope you're all having a great time, too!

2 comments:

Motorcycle Grandma said...

Oh, yes the sugar highs this two year old has had lately. His Grandpa was a major contributor when he let Aidan chow down on the gingerbread cookies/candy while we were babysitting. Then Grandpa had the nerve to leave the house for an appointment and left me with a sugared up kid! Fun:)

Wendy said...

Mmmmm, cookies.