Monday, December 10, 2007

"Eh eh.... eh?"

I love Christmas again! For a few years there it was kind of... awkward, a bunch of adults sitting around opening presents, our parents still insisting on us putting out Eggless Cake (instead of cookies) and milk for Santa on Christmas Eve, making us wait until they had the fire and the music going before they let us out of our rooms. Even since Aidan has been around Christmas still hasn't been what it used to be because he didn't get, but this year all that has changed. This year he 's starting to get it and I love seeing how exciting it is to him, like it's his very first Christmas. I remember how magical Christmas was as a kid. I remember getting all dressed up to go to Grandma's house and the lights and the treats and the anticipation. I remember it being a special few days, so different from the rest of the year. I've missed that and I'm glad it's back and that I get to watch it through Aidan's eyes.

They had a Santa at our ward Christmas party so we took Aidan to see him. I don't think Aidan was all too sure about what was going on, but he didn't cry or anything, so I suppose it was a good experience for him. He got a cookie and goody bag, so it couldn't have been all bad, right? Later that night as I was putting him to bed I was asking Aidan about seeing Santa and he said to me in his deepest, growliest voice "Have a present!" and "Have a cookie!" And then I asked him what Santa says and he said (a little unsure) "Eh eh . . . eh?" to which I replied "You mean Ho ho ho?" "Yeah, that's right."

So cute.

3 comments:

Holly said...

I agree, as an adult Christmas starts to feel the same way birthdays do. Just kinda eh. But having a kid brings that magic back because they have so much joy & you feel it.
"Eh, eh, eh" heehee

Wendy said...

Hmmm, sounds like you need some "leading up to Christmas" traditions to get you all hyped up. Even so, loving Christmas as I do, the whole knowing-the-financial-impact thing certainly dampens some of the magic. if I figure out how to restore it, I'll let you know. There will probably be cookies involved.

Annie Get Your Camera said...

Mmmmmm... cookies...