Monday, April 28, 2008

Birthday Joy/Why I'm an Awesome Wife

My husband turned 30 on Saturday.  Man he's getting old.  ;)  I wanted to make it a special birthday for him because 30 is kind of a big birthday, the birthday where people start to be aware of their own mortality.  During a visit to the doctor awhile back the doctor wondered why Travis was having some problems, then he looked at his chart and said, "Oh, you're almost thirty.  Things start to fall apart when you get that old."  Nice, huh?  Anyway, I wanted it to be fun.  He's had a big year with finishing school and getting a sweet job.  He's done a lot, so he deserves a fun birthday.  I surprised him with an overnight getaway at the Little America Hotel for us on Friday night.  (Thanks to my mom for watching the kids, one who had a cold and one who came down with a cold in the middle of the night!)  He said he kind of knew something was up, but wasn't sure, so he was kind of surprised, at least!  It was really fun to be on our own, without the kids.  He asked me if it was bad that we were so excited to not have the kids around to which I replied "No way."  We deserved a break.  The break was short lived, though, as we had to get things ready for the BBQ we had planned for Saturday night with his friends.  So almost as soon as we got home from our mini vacay we gathered up the kids and off we went to the grocery store then to my parents' where we had the BBQ.  It was a lot of fun.  And Travis declared it the best birthday ever.  Go me!   
This is the cake I made for him.  I asked him weeks ago what kind of cake he wanted and he said he wanted a giraffe cake, which I could have made using the same pan I used to make Aidan's monkey cake, but then I was at Michael's and cake pans were on sale so it was decided that a guitar cake was better.  I made the cake on Thursday, thinking I'd have time to decorate it on Friday, but I didn't.  I ended up decorating it on Saturday with barely enough time to finish it before people started showing up.  And I definitely would not have been able to get the cupcakes decorated if it weren't for my sister Kelly, my brother Patrick, and Patrick's girlfriend Rebekah.  
These are they. I let them do whatever they wanted. I was too busy worrying about the guitar to care. They had lots of fun, obviously. Thanks guys, it was a big help.
This is the ManZor cupcake. I don't know what it means.

5 comments:

Motorcycle Grandma said...

He kind of knew something was up because your Dad was talking to him earlier in the day and said, "So, you guys are having a night on the town tonight.". Dad didn't know you had a surprise planned.

Annie Get Your Camera said...

Yes, and he heard you slip up once or twice too. :)

Holly said...

Annie, can I idolize you please? That cake is awesome!! You've got skills woman.

Annie Get Your Camera said...

Thanks, Holly! It really wasn't as hard as it looks. It just took time to decorate!

Motorcycle Grandma said...

Ooops...I forgot about that.