So the link I was trying to send you to doesn't work. Anyway, the article was about a teeny bopper who proved a NASA prediction wrong about an asteroid hitting the earth in 2029ish. NASA was saying there was only a 1 in 45,000 chance (or was it 450,000?) this asteroid would hit the earth, but this kid proved that it was really a 1 in 450 chance due to the likelihood that the asteroid would hit satellites and whatnot, thus changing it's trajectory. NASA said that should the asteroid hit the earth it would land in the Atlantic ocean, causing massive tsunamis, destroying ALL coastlines and sending a plume of dark smoke into the atmosphere that would darken the planet indefinitely.
Makes me wonder if NASA already knew this, but hoping to avoid inciting panic they bumped the number up a bit because I find it really hard to believe that they wouldn't take satellites and stuff into consideration.
****
Or not.
2 comments:
We could always send Bruce Willis & company on a suicide mission to blow up the asteroid.
If rising gas, wheat, energy, water (and everything else) prices haven't impelled us to get our houses in order, I'm wondering if a massive asteroid would provide the necessary impetus.
Just for the record I got the link to work. And a 1 in 450 chance is less than 1%. So, that's good. (Annie H.)
Post a Comment