I'm tired. Besides it being very much past my bedtime, I'm sick so I'm naturally tired, but I can't sleep. At least I think I'm sick. My body has been on the fence for the past three or four days about whether or not it wants to fully commit to being sick or just get over it, and until it does I'm stuck here in this no man's land of Sorta Maybe Kinda Sick, which is, of course, my favorite place to be.
I'd blame my sleeplessness on the Diet Coke I had today, but that was at lunch time and I really hope that is not what's keeping me up, because, come on, that would be pathetic. Nonetheless, I'm awake.
I've been a lame blogger lately and I apologize to the one or two of you out there who faithfully check my blog for new posts for being so lame. I've just kind been in a rut. I haven't really felt all that good about myself as a wife, as a mother, as a human being, and not really being one to want to complain all the time, I just kept quiet. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to rant and to rave and to reach out to you all, but I was afraid no one would care. I'm insecure like that. Remember this post? Especially that part about "The experience of having your remarks taken lightly or belittled, particularly during the early years of your life, has caused you to keep your thoughts and feelings to yourself". It's so very true. I remember once, when I was a freshman in high school, I was riding in a car with my drama teacher and three other kids from the drama department and we were going to Salt Lake to see a show at Desert Star. I was sitting in the middle of the back seat next to Brandon (who I was totally and completely infatuated with) and Zea (my BFF at the time). We were all talking and I was saying something but absolutely no one was listening to me, and I said out loud "I guess it's not important because no one is listening to me." And my drama teacher laughed out loud because he was and he knew everyone else wasn't. I just remember feeling like a total idiot. Anyway, I bring it up as a very long, very unnecessary explanation of why I haven't blogged. And it wasn't the first time, or the last, that I felt like I was being disregarded, but I have it so clearly imprinted on my mind. I even remember that we were just getting over the summit on our way down Parley's Canyon. I remember the way the light looked as the sun was beginning to touch the tops of the mountains. But I'm going to try to be brave and try to stop editing myself because I'm afraid that I won't be good enough.
Going back to not feeling good about myself. I have always kept to myself. I think that's part of my nature. Quiet, reserved. I always preferred staying home to going out. I always wanted to have sleepovers at my house so I could be surrounded by things I was familiar with. I always had anxiety about hanging out at friends' homes. I'm sure that's part of why I never felt like I had a lot of friends. I spent most weekends at home until I got married, and then spending weekends at home was preferred. Anyway, when a person is like that they tend to live in their heads a lot and can become very self-centered, not to say that I thought I was the awesomest person around, I just didn't really think about anyone but myself. I remember thinking once during my pre-marriage years that I thought that I would almost rather stay alone because I didn't know how to have other people in my space. It terrified me. Which leads me to the present. I struggle every day with thinking of my family first. Of thinking of ways I can help out The Hubster to make his life a little easier. Of putting my children's needs before my own. Every day I struggle with not turning PBSKids dot ord on so I can do whatever it is I want to do without them bugging me. And I'm very consciously aware of that. Every time I turn that TV on my guilt meter rises and rises. Every time I make my husband get up to get us treats or to fix the TV antenna, that guilt meter fills to the brim. And then there is my Aidan, who I have essentially ignored in my pursuit of becoming a hermit, who has dearly paid the price. Everything that I believe about parenting, about setting limits and being firm in your boundaries and saying what you mean and meaning what you say and walking the walk and talking the talk, all that has never had a fighting chance in our home because I have only cared about me. Aidan is a good boy. He is sweet and smart and full of so much potential that I wonder what on earth I am doing being his mother. But I have failed him in teaching him about self-control because I have none. We have communicated through yelling at each other and standing stubbornly in our tracks like those ridiculous Zax he likes to read about. It's a battle of wills between me and a three year old and the worst part is is that I know that it's my fault and I know what I'm doing wrong and I am having a hard time stopping it.
It all came to a head, I don't know, a month ago maybe. I was having a rotten day. I spent the entire time I had with my children from 7:30-3:15 yelling and crying and resenting and demanding. I shut myself in my room and fell on the floor sobbing while my 3 year old, who had just had a door slammed in his face cried out "Mommy! I want my Mommy!" For weeks after I felt numb inside. I resigned myself to feeling like that for the rest of my natural born life, if not longer.
I am grateful to a Heavenly Father who answers the prayers I am unable to consciously utter, who knows the greatest desires of my heart and who knows the tremendous pain in my soul. I am grateful for His patience with me as I try mend the damage I have done to my child as well as to myself. In recent days I have been able to feel joy creep back into my heart. Joy I haven't felt for a long time.
8 comments:
Thank you for writing your thoughts. Everyone wants to hear they are not the only ones out there that feel depressed or under appreciated, or anything on any given day. I love you and care what you say and I DO check your posts, even though sometimes I don't comment. The Annie I know is WAY too hard on herself. Keep being great - honestly you are what made me realize that people can love you for who you are and not for who you appear to be. Thanks for sticking with me through my "searching" years in college and still being my friend despite everything. If I was closer I would come give you a big hug and take you out for dinner and a movie or watch your kids or something. Hang in there, girl. I think you're awesome and so do your kids and from what I saw of the 30 minutes I was around Aidan, he is a great guy and it is because of YOU. <3
Oh, Annie, I don't know what to do or say, and since I don't get to see you on a regular basis I can't reach out and give you a hug, so here's a "virtual" hug. I guess. Love you.
Oh Annie! I am sorry you are kinda sick and I am sure you are not doing horrible things to your kids. Parenting is hard! Nobody can tell you what it is going to be like or what you need to do and how it is going to be hard. Sometimes you don't know what to do or why they are crying at 3 am for the 4th night in a row. But they love you anyway and are not going to remember that you had a breakdown that one day that you beat yourself up over years later. I feel bad because I have all the patience in the world... until I am tired and then it is GONE. Josh mentions this and it is really hard for me to work on. I used to yell at him if he talked to me while I was asleep, but I never remembered because I was Asleep! At Christmas I found this website and this one letter in particular that made me feel so much better. I hope it helps you too. http://kindoffreakingout.blogspot.com/search/label/encouragement
So I'm not a parent. I don't have kids but I do know this, your kids know that you love them. All you can do is be the best you can on that day and leave the rest of to the Lord. You don't have to do this on your own. The Lord knew this was going to be hard and he is just waiting for you to turn to him for help. I love you and I think you are amazing.
thank you for posting something real.
i've realized lately that it takes a lot of guts to be honest, both to yourself and to others.
everyone is struggling with something--self-worth or illness or capacity or whatever--but for some reason, we tend to only blog about our good moments. and too often that leads us to assume that everyone else's life is perfect, so there must be something seriously wrong with us.
i guess what i'm saying is that we're all in this together, and the more honest we are with each other, the more we are able to understand each other, and ultimately, the more we are able to understand (and forgive) ourselves.
so thanks.
i know i'm not by any means one of your closest friends, but if there's ever anything i can do for you, please let me know.
Sister,
Now you've gone and done it. You made my cry. And that is very hard to do! My husband asks me all the time if I ever cry because he never sees it. I shocked him one day by telling him that I cry all the time - it's just after he goes to work when I am alone because I hate it when people see me cry. Thank you for being so totally you. And I know it doesn't make you feel any better, but I think you are the "norm" in your feelings about motherhood, it's just that no one wants to come out and say what they really think. I have actually felt attacked when I've expressed how hard being a mother is for me. "People" think that you shouldn't feel that way, but guess what?! Being a mother just downright sucks sometimes and I will shout it loud and clear for all to hear. It's not all ice cream and rainbows. It's usually poop and screaming. I don't know if I am making any sense because after three kids my brain cells are all dead, but I just want you to remember that you are never alone. I often feel the exact same way, I just hide it behind a joke or some sassiness. People never think anything is wrong with me because I'm always joking around. What they don't realize is that's my way to cope. You internalize and I act like a spazz. Oh, I hope you know how much I love you. I don't think I show that to you very well and that is my fault. I have trust issues with our "family" and it hasn't always allowed me to show how I feel or say what I really think. I just think you are so talented and beautiful and please, please would you call me when you're feeling blue because I probably feel like crap too but I can laugh us out of it!! Much Love!!
Traci
Annabelle, you've always been so hard on yourself. So, so, undeservedly hard on yourself. Being quiet and keeping more to yourself doesn't mean you're self-centered. A self-centered person wouldn't let their wreck of a cousin borrow their car for two (or was it three?) weekends. A self-centered person wouldn't take photos for people even if they can't pay what you're worth- or pay at all. A self-centered person wouldn't have written this post.
Sometimes (a lot of times) it's hard to find the joy in what do you want for breakfast, do you need to go pee, don't hit your sister, share your toys, you don't talk to Mommy like that, no you can't eat Skittles for lunch, will the laundry never end, what should I make for dinner, I'm going to be late for work, how can it be snowing again, we need milk (and eggs and cereal and bread and pretty much everything used for making meals), and so on. Sometimes it's nearly impossible. But that you're trying speaks volumes. And it's okay to turn on PBS kids so Mommy can read a book or waste time on facebook or just zone out for half an hour (or an hour and a half- they're little, it won't kill them). Just like on an airplane, you have to put on your own oxygen mask first.
And you can always call me (or email me, since I know how much we both love the phone) and say "I'm having a crappy day". I'm good for being able to empathize with that.
P.S. I never saw that original post. That name thing is fascinating.
Post a Comment