Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Pricey

I went to Kid-to-Kid today to sell some of the kids' old clothes and get some *new* spring clothes. I went in with two big diaper boxes filled with spring/summer clothes that were all in really good condition. As I shopped I heard the clerks talking about some items and whether or not they wanted them and one said "If you're not sure about it, then don't take it. We're trying to up our inventory." As in they are trying to up the quality of their inventory. Which is fine, I suppose, but after I got my rejects back I realized that the only things they didn't take were my Wal*Mart items, which were all in great shape and actually some of my favorites. Not that I'm offended that they didn't want my favorites, I just thought it was strange. On the one hand I'm glad they're being a little more picky about what they take because some of that stuff can just be awful, but on the other, they can charge more for the nicer items. Now, I realize I'm complaining about paying $4 for a $15 or $20 shirt, but it just really bugs me when something starts out being a really great value then becomes something not so awesome.

I'm struggling with that myself, right now. People keep telling me that I need to raise my photo session prices and require print purchase and charge for the disk, but I'm comfortable with where I am right now. Right now I'm still affordable and even though I'm going to be adjusting my price somewhat to accommodate for the disk, I don't want to be out of reach of most people. If I ever get to be as good as Stacey from Three Winks or Sheye Rosemeyer I don't want people to only wish they could afford me, I want it to actually be in their reach.  It just doesn't seem fair, you know?  

What do you think?  

2 comments:

Jocie said...

I think you are great for keeping it affordable. What good would it do you to up the prices so you get less people to book a session? Especially if people are trying to save money. And I think you are a great photographer.

tylerandmommy said...

Josh and I charge lower for our graphic and web design fees so that more people can afford us also. We have increased our rates slightly over the years, but I agree with you - you don't want people to WISH they could afford you, but you also want to make sure you make a profit to pay for your time and energy.