Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I Should Never Send Myself To The Store

I went to the store today to pick some thing we forgot. The Hubster was going to go yesterday with the kids after work but with the snow and such he decided not too. Wise man. While we were talking about what he needed to get I admonished him to "not go crazy" as we are trying to save up to some day in the next quarter century buy a house. Or townhouse. Or condo. Maybe a shack.  Whatever.

So, like I said, since he didn't go, I went to today and oh. my. gosh. I have serious self-control issues. This was the list: salt, vanilla, rice, granola bars. Simple. Four things. That's it. 

What I ended up with was: salt, vanilla, rice, granola bars, two boxes of cereal (bought almost solely for the toys), marshmallows (bought because one of the boxes of cereal was Rice Krispies and when one has a giant box of Rice Krispies...), chips, a box of Spiderman Mac & Cheese, Grasshopper cookies, and some alphabet cookies.

I just...

I just like to spend money.  *hanging head in shame*

If we never purchase an abode of our own, I imagine it will be partially because I can't go to the store without buying twice what I went in for.

6 comments:

Grandma Cebe said...

If you ever go to grocery and only get what's on your list, you will be the first woman/mother in history to do so. When you accomplish this feat, you will be asked to appear on "Ellen", "Oprah", and "Dr. Phil" because of the book you wrote about your experience. Then you will have plenty of money to buy a very nice house.

Wendy said...

Heeheehee. I try so hard to stick to my list- and do reasonably well- but I always happen upon things that I "forgot we needed", which we obviously didn't need that badly because I didn't put it on the list. Damien's the worst, though. Once I sent him to Sunflower Market to get oranges and bananas, and he came back with three bags full of stuff. He's not allowed to go to the grocery store anymore.

tylerandmommy said...

Awww shoot that sounds like me every week. Ooooooooooh Pepperidge Farm cookies on 2 for 5...totally buying some. Tyler "has" to have spaghetti-o's...totally buying some. And that list goes on an on. I try every week to put less and less on my list for that reason, but it still doesn't work.

Holly said...

Groceries are my weakness, too. I never go to the mall or splurge on house stuff, but I spend at the store easier than pie! I can stick to a list, but then I go back at least 2 times the following week for extras or forgotten items or whatever.

The Shelton's said...

Hello! I think we must have been twins separated at birth! I do that all the time. The problem with that is that we are on a very tight budget right now, so when I spend too much one week I don't have hardly anything to spend the next week! Todd is the exact opposite. He never varies from my list so I suppose I should just have him do all the grocery shopping, right?! Except that I love to shop and if all I can shop for is groceries then I wanna do it. It's my retail therapy.

Ashleigh said...

Annie, as you can see you are not alone in this! We are all guilty! At least you got all of things on your list, I go and get indulgent items and totally forget to get what I went to the store for in the first place, sigh, someday I will be better! Thanks for the laugh... :)