If only our desktop computer was in the family room instead of our bedroom, I might be able to finally get some projects worked on I've been unable to do, what with needy kids and the siren call of the television. But as it is, I'm stuck using our antiquated laptop that runs like a dinosaur stuck in a tar pit so nothing gets done and I usually end up staring at my home page on Facebook for 45 minutes hoping something exciting will pop up, which it rarely does.
Tonight, however, I thought I'd jump back on the blog train because as I was laying there, trying to convince the caffeine running through my veins to let me sleep, I started hearing bumps in the night. Now, that's really nothing new since we live on the middle level of our apartment building and these here apartments were built back in the 70's, which means we hear a lot of what goes on in our neighbors homes. But, tonight I heard a door open and it sounded like it was the kids' door so I thought I'd hear Aidan pitter pat his way down to our room (walking past the bathroom on his way, mind you) to inform me that he needed to go. When that didn't happen my mind ran a little while and I half expected some ghoulie to jump up, grab my ankles and drag me under the bed. It didn't, in case you were wondering.
Are you like that? Please tell me someone else out there is like that too! I've always been that way. When "E.T." came out I remember lying terrified in my bed thinking that E.T.'s misshapen head was going to pop up and I'd be a goner, never mind that E.T. was as gentle as they come. That glowing finger still freaks me out.
And sharks. On occasion, as I was trying to fall asleep, I'd end up thinking about the inky black vastness of the ocean and sharks appearing out of nowhere to nibble my toes off, and I'd end up with my eyes shut tight and the covers pulled over my head. I blame "Jaws" for that one.
And then there was "Fire in the Sky", that movie about alien abductions supposedly based on true stories. I remember watching that in my parents' room when they were out of town, with all the lights off and pillows piled on top of me as if that was going to protect me from aliens intent on using my body for their scientific experiments. I didn't sleep well that night.
I need to shut up now. I'm never going to get to sleep if I keep freaking myself out.
Lesson learned: Never drink two Diet Cokes in a day and don't blog about things that freak you out at 11:30 pm.
I'm off to Facebook now. Maybe I can forget about the creepy.
7 comments:
thereare a few episodes of x-files that still creep up on me occasionally. I'll spare you the details since you're already on edge.
Don't I remember you liking scary stuff?
PS: David Duchovny, why don't you love me?! Ah, good times!
Yes, I used to like scary stuff. However, "The Ring" changed that all.
I too can relate to the call of caffeine, being that I am a soda-holic myself. Except for I can drink an insane amount and still sleep, but I have CRAZY dreams and I do mean CRAZY!! And don't even get me started on the ocean. Scares the crap out of me and not just the sharks, but all of it. Now I got the willies . . .
I have caffeine rules too. No Excederin after 3:00pm or I'll be up all night, which means if the headaches come after 3:00, forget it I'll just suffer. Next rule, no Energy Vitamin Water after 5:00pm or I won't be able to sleep. Vitamin Water is my Diet coke. I feel like I'm getting caffeine and rehydrating at once, it's awesome.
As for freaking myself out, yes, I do it regularly, like listening to a scary news program about a woman who was alone at home and an intruder raped and murdered her. Never leave the TV on when your roommates are both out of town at the same time. BAD IDEA.
You probably ought to switch to caffine free Diet Coke, and stay away from chocolate in the evening.
I found out the hard way that drinking hot chocolate before going to bed was not a good idea. I was awake half the night.
I hear you on the caffeine, but anything that has to do with worry or thinking keeps me awake. I will lie awake until 1 am, just thinking about things, with my eyes closed (but no sleep).
I don't have a problem with the ocean. I freak out at Lake Mead. I heard about all sorts of fish that eat things and crocodiles being found there. I don't like water skiing as much as I used to. I haven't been bit though.
Post a Comment