1. I in no way claim myself to be an expert at any of this. I know a few tricks, that's all.
2. Do not expect to have a How-To Tuesday every Tuesday. I'll post them when the mood strikes. Nothing more, nothing less.
3. This is mostly just a way for me to practice what I know and, hopefully, motivate me to learn even more. What I learn, I will share. I'm up for suggestions, so if you think I know something you'd like to learn about, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Okay, now on to the fun stuff. I thought I'd start with how to photograph little kids. When I was doing portrait sessions for families, I often got asked for tips on how they could better capture their wee ones. I'm told I have an artistic eye, but truth be told, I don't think I do. I am 100% positive that you can take photos you'll be amazed with if you just know a few things:
1. You have to have realistic expectations. Children do not sit still and they do not smile naturally on demand, so don't expect them to. They may have the cutest smile in the world, but you're not going to catch it if you tell them to hold still and say "Cheese!". It's really not likely to happen.
2. Pull out your camera even when you are just sitting around not doing anything amazing. Find some good light, let your kid play and snap away. You'll get more natural expressions and you'll capture them as they really are. For instance:

Emily was eating a cookie. She'd just had a bath and I wanted to document the black eye she gave herself falling into the sewing machine. The light was good and I just sat back and snapped away. I love her chubby cheeks and hands, and the catchlight in her eye is great.
That leads me to number three and four. #3: Take lots and lots and lots. Kids are always on the move and their expressions are constantly changing. Sure, you may end up with more than a handful of these:

Or something like this that is charming in it's way, but may never make it on your wall:

But chances are you will come away with something like this:

4. Catchlights. Catchlights are those lights in a subjects eyes that seem to sparkle back at you, that give your subject life. These are easy to get. Just make sure that your kiddo is facing a window or light source. You don't want them blinded by sunlight, but if you're outside, find a shady spot and face them out towards the sun. If you're inside, a window is your best bet. The flash on your camera does not work for this. In fact, I encourage you to only use your flash in dire circumstances. Just turn it off. Go ahead... you can do it. You'll thank me.
5. Lastly, composition. Going back to this one, even thought it's horribly out of focus, it illustrates the point that you generally should not center your subject in the frame.

Your image will be more interesting if you put them off center a bit. And don't be afraid to fill the entire frame with their sweet faces, even if it means you cut off the top of their heads or don't get both ears. It's their faces, mostly, you're concerned with anyway, right?

In review:
1. Don't expect them to sit still.
2. Pull out the camera when you're doing ordinary, every day things.
3. Take a TON.
4. Catchlights!
and 5. Composition: Tight and off-center.
Photographing children can be really rewarding. Have fun, let them be silly and you'll come away with pictures of your kids you'll cherish forever. I can't wait to see them!
3 comments:
So all I could think about the whole time, besides how cute she is and how nice it is for you to put tips up, is where did that black eye come from? There has got to be a story. Tyler's nose looked like that a couple weeks ago. In short, he decided to jump on the bed while being a ghost and took a nosedive (literally) into the night stand. FUN.
Ha ha! So here's the story:
My sister bought Emily these gorgeous boots (I'm jealous of them). They have a substantial sole and heel on them, and one day she had one boot on and one off. She was following me, lost her balance and fell into the corner of my antique sewing machine, which corner made contact with her eye. It was pretty sad! I wonder what people think happened when I take her out in public...?
thank you, thank you for the tips. i think often besides my crappy camera is that i don't have enough light. i will try your tips!
Post a Comment