Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Letters

I had one of those days at work yesterday.

There was a letter that was to be sent home to the girls who are getting ready to go en pointe and I was supposed to fix just a couple of things in it, but as I sat down to fix those two things I could not stop.  The original note was a mish-mash of about three different notes, so there was redundancy and wordiness and poor organization.  The part of me that wanted to be a writer rebelled, nay, refused to send out a note in that condition.  So I spent the next hour completely revamping it.  I fixed grammar, removed repetitiousness, and even included titled subsections and changed the font from Times New Roman (blech!) to the infinitely easier to read Arial.  A copy was shown to my boss and was returned to me with the instruction that, while she appreciated the time and effort I put into, she still preferred the original.

I'm serious when I say that you could have pushed me over with a feather.  What?!  How is that possible?  My version was obviously SO much better!  How could she possibly like that mess of a note compared to my organized, cleaned up, grammatically correct masterpiece?!  How? I ask you!  HOW?!!

I sat dumbfounded while my poor co-worker, Sara, (who was acting as the go-between) explained to me what our employer wanted.  I conceded that perhaps the titled subsections were a bit... severe, but I could not imagine that I had changed the rest of it that much to warrant a complete dismissal of the whole letter!  I was shocked.

Now, you may be thinking, "Holy race car! (as my eldest would exclaim)  It's just a letter!  It's not that important!  Just fix it like the boss lady liked it and send it on it's way!"

That, my friends, is the crux of this whole thing, because I knew I was being insane.  That is was JUST a letter.  A letter that had gone out countless times before in it's original state with no ill effects.  And I tried.  I really did try  to return it to that mess and not care, but I couldn't even type one word.  My fingers were physically incapable of typing one single letter.  It was in my gut, my very soul even, that I should not let that note go out like that knowing that mine was better!

So, I took out the subsection titles, returned the font to Times New Roman (as was requested), and changed it from Dear Parent to Dear Student.  That's all I could do.  I showed it to the one in charge, she said "That will work", it was copied and distributed.

I was left feeling exhausted and emotionally drained.  Over a silly little letter.  But it was better.  It really was.

6 comments:

Annie said...

Been there, done that. Sorry to hear it still happens. Good luck.

Grandma Cebe said...

I probably would have been tempted to do the exact same thing. It happens when your Dad will want me to proof read something that he's written and I want to make all kinds of changes. He's learned to tell me to just read for content and thought, not structure. Drives me crazy anyway.

Kelly said...

Amen! My coworkers will ask me to read over emails sometimes and I have a very difficult time not completely rewriting it!

Nicole said...

first, i have to say that i totally remember that letter. ah, the first pair of pointe shoes. such a big deal.

second, i feel your pain. i did freelance editing for a few months in grad school, and some of that stuff was embarrassingly ridiculous.

third, i'm sorry your revisions didn't go over as well as you'd have liked them to. i definitely would have raged. :)

tylerandmommy said...

The ignorant are comfortable with ignorance. The mediocre are comfortable with mediocrity. The stubborn are comfortable with their own stubbornness. But kudos to you for trying to make things better. I bet your letter was awesome, subsections and all. I worked for an old teacher of mine doing admin for a while and tried to implement so many ideas that would make things better and she rejected every single one. I would whine and complain every night to my hubby about how I could make the studio SO MUCH better if she would even use just ONE of my ideas. She never did. I don't work there anymore. Granted it wasn't my studio - she was in charge - and a lot of stuff she had been doing had worked for years, and probably some of the ideas were stupid, but when people don't open up their minds to change and new things, how do they ever improve, grow, or learn? Hang in there. Someone will notice your brilliance sometime and shower you with the appreciation and gratitude you deserve. :)

Annie Jarman said...

Thank you everyone!

I think I should clarify, though, that generally, my ideas are generally accepted. I rewrite things and change or add processes that make things run better all the time and they usually go over well. I guess that is way I was so shocked that this one didn't!

I was also pretty worn out and emotional that day, so that added to it all. And I knew I was being ridiculous.

I'm glad to hear, though, that there are others out there who can't let a poorly formed letter (or whatever it is) just be!