I just put Emily down for what is supposed to be her last nap with her deetee. I am a mess. As I sit here and type this I am bawling my head off. I knew I was in for it when she crawled into bed with me this morning, two of her beloved deetees in tow, and I started to get choked up knowing that at the end of the day I had planned on enforcing a permanent separation between them. In fact, in the back of my car are a dozen helium filled balloons that were to aid in the separation.
But I sit here and wonder why? WHY? Why do I have to do this?! Because I don't think I can. It sounds ridiculous, but I don't think I can.
Sure, I hate having to get up in the middle of the night because she's dropped her binky on the floor and she expects me to find it. Sure, I hate hearing her trying to talk to me with that thing in her mouth. Sure, she's 2 1/2 and her brother was separated from his at 6 months.
But she loves them. Oh my, how she loves them! You should hear her giggle and exclaim "My deetees!!" when it's bedtime and her beloveds are taken down from their perch and placed into her hands. You should see how quickly she is soothed after an owie or an altercation with her brother. They have a power to soothe and comfort that is beyond my capacity to fill. She loves them so much and they make her so happy and I'm going to take them away from her. What kind of horrible person does that?
Is it really so bad that she still has them? It's not like they are permanently attached to her mouth. She usually only has them when she's sleeping. What is the big deal?!?
I can not do it. I have not the courage to break my child's heart, even if it is supposedly for her own good.
3 comments:
Go with your intuitions, don't listen to peer pressure. I can't see how a little deetee will hurt her. Now if she were going into kindergarten and still had one, that would be another story. Enjoy her baby-hood while she is still there with you. Before long she will want the keys to the car.
~a
The only problem with still having the binky is the possibility of having a problem with her bite and shape of her soft palate. However, since she isn't sucking on them 24/7 and probably doesn't suck much during her sleep, there may not be a problem. You might consider a visit to the dentist to see what he thinks. Now, about toilet training....
I support your decision. I feel the same way about my baby. I can't bring my self to take anything away from her.
She'll do it on her own time. much love, katie
Post a Comment