Monday, May 24, 2010

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I'm going to say it anyway.

I hate shopping at WalMart.  I think people somehow transform into idiots upon entering the parking lot and the idiocy only gets worse once you physically enter the building.

Once, I was stuck in the pharmacy section for 5 minutes because there was one elderly woman who couldn't decide which type of disposable underwear to buy blocking one way and another pondering mouthwash blocking the other way.  Neither could apparently hear me or see me because neither acknowledged that I was there and, mayhaps, have a desire to leave that aisle before my next birthday.  I, for one, knew which kind of toothpaste I wanted.

That seems to be a common condition at Walmart, indecision.  It seems like no matter what section of the store you're in, people can not decide.  I get it if your trying to pick a book or DVD or deciding clothes, but really, at 85 years old you don't know what kind of deodorant or cereal you like?  Are you trying to perform some kind of complex calculation about how much each grain of rice costs versus how much you'll be able to eat in a week?  If I'm going to do some serious shopping at WalMart, especially in the grocery section, I come prepared with a list and no messing around.

And then there is just the weirdos.  And there are always the weirdos.  Today an old lady who told me she was going to steal my child.  And I'm pretty sure she was serious.  I kind of laughed kindly and said "Yeah, he's pretty cute" but she had a bit of malevolence in her 80 year old eyes and she looked me right in mine and said again "I'm going to steal him".  Okaaaaayy..... we'll be moving on now.

And WHAT, please someone tell me, is with the poles in the middle of the aisles that your cart can barely squeeze past on either side?!  And WHY are there always carts in the middle of the aisles full of merchandise that employees are obviously supposed to be putting away but there is not an employee in sight?!  GAH!!!

Gee whiz.

I hate WalMart.  And I hate that it usually does have the best prices and I therefore feel like I have to shop there more often than I care to.  Stupid WalMart with it's trickery that pulls you in.

5 comments:

melissa said...

Yay! You're in the club, too! I made a resolution not to shop at Walmart last year and I haven't missed it at all. It was difficult to make the change, at first, especially since it was so close. It's so worth it, though.

My grandma used to check the ingredients of every box of cookies before she decided which ones to buy. You're so right, though: At that age you should know what cookies you like. Come on!

Lindsey said...

i most totally agree!!

Wendy said...

Have you been to peopleofwalmart.com? Much entertainment.

And yes, idiots abound there. Last week I had to go buy a couple of things at WalMart late in the evening, so there were only two checkstands open. Of course, the line I chose was short and yet took FOR-EVER. The guy in front of me was absolutely flummoxed by the debit card machine- like he'd never used one before- and he was about 23, not some geriatric person. He stood there with complete surprise in his voice as he read aloud the question "Do I want cash back?" Then he proceeded to debate whether or not he did for the next couple of minutes... out loud. I came very close to snapping at him to pick one, but just as I was gearing up to say something, he made his choice. I wanted to kick him. Stuff like that always happens at WalMart. It's like people check their brain cells at the door.

Ashleigh said...

Amen and Amen again! I couldn't agree more!!

Annie Jarman said...

peopleofwalmart.com Hilarious!

I'm glad I'm not alone in this!