Well, that was weeks ago and my hormones are back in balance and I am capable of not breaking down at the mere thought of losing the binkies. Monday we snipped the binkies (no elaborate party this time) and Emily has been without them since after one unsuccessful suck then ended in a binky on the floor. Now, before I tell you how we are all doing now that the beloveds are gone, I'd like to take a minute and pay respect to The Deetee.
You'll notice she wasn't born with one in her mouth. And in fact she didn't have one until we came home from the hospital because I had forgotten to bring them and they didn't give us one at the hospital.
She wasn't long without once we got home, though. I love how huge they look in a newbie's mouth.
But from that moment on she was rarely without one.
Her constant companion and a sanity saver for me with a needy two year old and wanting a good night's sleep.
We've gone through many, many, many of them.
After awhile, we got smart and restricted her binky use to just bedtime. And that was the sticking point, why it took me so long to gather the courage to take them away. Bedtime was usually so easy. Give the girl a binky and she would go right to sleep most of the time. I didn't want to go through the crying for an hour we went through with Aidan when we got rid of his.
Just look at that. Pure contentment. Why mess that up?
But, it was time. So we did it. The first night was no good. Lots of crying. Lots of "Mommy! Go to Warmart and get me new binkies!" We didn't sleep much. She refused to nap the next day, but, blessed miracle, she went to bed just fine and only woke up once during the night.
It is done. However, there is one casualty, it appears. Nap time. She refuses to nap. I'm doing my best to accept it, but ay yi yi. I see a long summer ahead of us.









6 comments:
So, um, any particular reason you were feeling exceptionally hormonal? Or is it just normal? :)
Congrats!! :) I love that you found all those pictures with her and that deetee. It was time. Think of her teeth...
I keep trying to figure out a way to say it (I was going to put it in my post) that will not sound absolutely awful and abrupt and even callous and I can't. So, here goes anyway because I don't feel like I need to keep it private.
I had a miscarriage the next day. I was only 8 or 9 weeks along and we hadn't told anyone yet I was pregnant. For about a week things were awful and emotional, but once that all subsided I was fine. Sad we lost the baby, but I know it was for a reason and that brings me a lot of comfort. Heavenly Father will bless us with another baby when and if He wants to and I'm completely okay with that. I already have two beautiful babes, so I can wait if I need to.
And I wanted to write about it and tell people, but it just felt like an awful thing to say, "Hey, guess what? I had a miscarriage." I didn't know how to say it without making other people sad.
I dunno. But, there's the story. :)
Oh, Annie, I'm so sorry! I know that's a hard thing to tell people, even if you kind of want people to know and understand what you're going through. I'm very, very sorry for your loss.
I admire the fact that you nipped the binky business in the bud. Go team!
Yay, Emily and Mom for giving up the binkie. I better get rid of the Grandma deetees. I love the deetee pictures. They are a treasure.
Next up, potty training.
I got fed up one day and cut Bentley's ninight, that's what he called them, after he had dropped them in the dirt several times. Good
I am sorry to hear about your loss. I love you!
Post a Comment