Thursday, October 7, 2010

Overheard at work last night.

Or the reason our children/teenagers are getting themselves into so much trouble.

OR "it takes a village" is not just a cute little saying.

Mother 1:  I caught my teenage daughter riding in a car with her friend who was drunk and using drugs.  I have to tell the friend's mother right?  I mean, I would want to know, wouldn't you?

Mother 2:  Uhhhh....  I don't know.  I'd have to know all the facts before I said anything.

Mother 1:  She was drinking and doing drugs AND driving!

Mother 2:  I know, but I wouldn't want to ruin the relationship between the mother and the daughter.

Mother 1:  Really?!

Mother 2:  Yeah, I don't know if I would.  I did a lot of stuff my mother didn't know about.

Mother 1:  But this child was drinking and doing drugs and driving!

Mother 2:  Thats true.  And I never did anything bad.  Just smoked a little and drank some......  But still.  I don't know if I would.

Mother 3:  I wouldn't.  I did a lot of bad stuff as a kid.

Mother 1:  Well, I'm going to.  I would want to know if my child was acting like that.

End scene.

Opinions?

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Well, you know which parents you don't ever want to be in charge of chaperoning ANYTHING. Personal opinion: If someone's child is endangering herself and/or others, you have an obligation to let the parents know. And also, why did she not call the cops?? (Nevermind. I know why. She's a wuss.)

Grandma Cebe said...

Ditto what Wendy said.

Annie said...

OK, I'm not a mother, so I acknowledge that my opinion might change when I have kids, especially teenagers, but I think Mother 1 should definitely say something! I would want to know! And that other girl is endangering her child and anyone else who is out on the road. Something needs to be said.

Katie said...

Absolutely you should tell her mother. Do you know that she will do it again because she got away with it?!? And maybe the next time she is on the road she will kill someone or even herself. That isn't even something to consider. The sooner her mother knows, the better.

Annie Jarman said...

I agree with y'all. I am constantly, and I mean CONSTANTLY, floored by what I hear the mothers at my work say or the way that they behave. Seriously, no wonder kids these days are such a mess. I pray I have better sense in my head than to act the way they do.

Annie Jarman said...

Oh, and to clarify, I think Mother 1 was very much planning on telling the friend's mother. I just hope that she wasn't convinced otherwise by the other two. I just could not believe those women would have any kind of hesitation about something like that.