But then there's Aidan. Watching him grow and become this little person has been like peering through some kind of looking glass. I see so much of myself in the way he behaves and reacts to things. He needs a plan. He needs instructions and he needs help. A lot of help. I think he feels like he needs an anchor, something or someone to reassure him that what he's doing is right. He loves instructions. He can play with his Trio blocks for an afternoon building project after project by following the instruction book. Once he gets those down, he's happy to create on his own, but he likes having the rules.
When he colors he consults other material to get the picture correct with the right colors. In this particular incident he was distressed that the Batman in the Fisher Price catalogue was grey and black and the Batman on the cover of his coloring book was blue and grey. He didn't know what to do. He kept asking me why this one was blue and that one was black. I had to reassure him that it was fine that they were different and he decided that maybe Batman had two sets of boots and capes; one blue, one black.



2 comments:
Likes to follow instructions. That reminds me of one time you were making a fruit salad...from a recipe. I was so confused. A recipe? For a fruit salad? Don't you just think about what fruit sounds good at the time, cut it up and put it in a bowl? That's what I do but ok.
I don't remember that, but I'm sure it happened. I guess that was the point I was trying to make about myself that for a really long time I had to have the instructions and know the rules. Even with something as silly as a fruit salad. It made me nervous not too. I guess I felt out of control of a lot of things and needed the rules to make me feel not so crazy.
I'm not nearly as bad I used to be. I'm pretty sure I can manage to make a fruit salad without a recipe now, but, honestly, that's only come along in the last 5 or 6 years.
Post a Comment