Thursday, March 22, 2007
Placenta Brain
I almost called a flock of quail marching through our backyard today penguins. Penguins. I almost opened my mouth and exclaimed to my one and a half year old son who is just learning the names of things, "Look Aidan! Penguins!" (Can you imagine if that stuck? He's in kindergarten and his teacher holds up a picture of a penguin and he adamently proclaims that those are NOT penguins, that his grandma has penguins in her backyard... Good grief.) I am struggling with a severe case of pregnancy brain, or, as my doctor calls it, placenta brain. A few weeks ago I shouted out "Carrots!" when my toddler was pointing excitedly at something that was most certainly not carrots. I just happened to be thinking of what was in the stew we were having for dinner. I keep calling things by the wrong names and completely forgetting words that I have used in everyday conversation for years!! It makes me wonder what sort of child I'm carrying that I'm having such a problem. I imagine it is a smart one. Quiet. Observant. Wickedly brilliant, as it is sucking every last ounce of intelligence I have. Has to be. I didn't have this problem with Aidan until I was seven or eight months and the child is extremely smart, I think. So if it's starting this soon, I expect this new kid to be speaking in full sentences by the time it's a year, reading chapter books by the time it's in Kindergarten and graduated high school when it's 10. It better be using all the smarts I'm giving it. Do you hear me, little one? You better be soaking it all up and I expect great things from you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I think it's a VERY SMART little girl you have growing inside you...just like her mom.
Have I told you Lindasy's theory on pregnancy brain? It's a good one: Women lose a few IQ points when they get pregnant so they can relate to their babies. The more pregnancies, the more IQ points lost. (Maybe so we don't go crazy listening to the likes of the Doodlebops for ten years.) See? Evil trick of nature, nothing one can do.
Ugh... Doodlebops. Yesterday Aidan was running around the house saying "Where's Mo?! Where's Mo?!" Stupid Doodlebops.
Jaren & Kyle think Damien looks like Busdriver Bob from the Doodlebops. haha
I hate to tell you, but I feel even dubmer the first year or so after I have the kid. Maybe it is nursing, maybe it is the kids themselves, but something is making my mind mush
I didn't know you were expecting! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
Post a Comment