I came home from work last night and told my husband about how one of the mothers came in and was talking about cataracts and detached optic nerves and how if your eyes are really bad that chances of that happening are good and when I told her how bad my eyes are she said "Wow! Your vision is worse than mine!" and then she high- fived me like it was something to be proud of and then she told me how when you have the surgery to repair the detached optic nerve you have to keep your head looking down at all times until it is healed and that after the surgery your risk for cataracts go up and after I told my husband all this, convinced that someday soon that would be me, he shook his head and said "You really need to have someone run interference for you so people don't tell you these kinds of things."
He'll be sorry he said that in five years when he's having to do everything for me because I have to keep looking at the ground until my reattached optic nerve has healed. Just you wait, Mister.
8 comments:
Annie,
It is true if you are very nearsighted that you are at a higher risk of loss of vision. However, it would be from a retinal detachment, not a detachment of the optic nerve. If you had such a detachment, you would likely see floaters or flashes of light and should see an ophthalmologist withing 24 hours. If caught early it can be surgically treated (you are correct, that this often requires staying face-down for some time). Hope this was helpful.
Sincerely,
David D. Richardson, M.D.
Medical Director
San Gabriel Valley Eye Associates, Inc.
207 S. Santa Anita St., Suite P-25
San Gabriel, CA 91776
(626) 289-7856
http:/www.sgveye.com
#1 Hypochondriac
#2 You're also going to die someday.
Love you!
Oh no, this means I'M at risk, too! Thanks a lot!
First of all I'd like to thank Dr. David for visiting my blog and backing me up! (And I meant retinal detachment... I, uh, just got mixed up.) Dr. David is awesome!
Second, NOOOOOOOOO!!! I don't want to die!!
Third, knowledge is power, sister.
Is anyone else wondering who "Dr. David" is? Just asking?!?
Sounds like it would be pretty easy to check up on Dr. David. He left all his contact info.
P.S. How cool is it that you got a random eye doctor to comment on your blog? Pretty cool, I think.
talk about random commenter. But I do agree with your husband, you need someone to run interference for you so people don't tell you these things!
Post a Comment