When The Hubster and I celebrated our first Christmas, we spent a smallish fortune on a real tree, which left little money for ornaments. I don't feel bad about that because it was a real tree and it was gorgeous. We bought red, green and silver balls and few random ornaments to start our collection. It hasn't grown much in the last 5 years, mostly because we spent two of those years with my parents and they had more than enough ornaments to go around.
Last year they decided to get rid of a bunch and I snagged a few that were meant for the DI. They are pretty beat up, broken arms and chipped paint and all that, but I couldn't let them meet their end in a DI bin. I have fond memories of these little wooden ones and I'm glad I saved them.
This year my mom is again downsizing her ornament collection and has decided to let us all have the heirlooms we've asked for. There's a big Divying Up gathering on the 19th to see who gets what. Fists may fly. Luckily, I was already bequeathed with the "Nutcracker" set since I was the ballerina and I think I started asking for them to be mine when I was about 11. (Remember my last post? Selfish and, I believe I forgot to mention, greedy.) Anyway, I don't know why we considered these the Nutcracker ornaments. I don't remember there being a nurse, but I always thought of the girl in pink as Clara and of course there are soldiers and a prince. (I didn't take pictures of the prince or the nutcracker.... Hm...)
And, finally, angels. When I was a dancer at CBT we were invited by Utah Opera to dance in their holiday production of "Hansel & Gretel". We did it four years and each year our teacher, Stacey, gave us an angel ornament that she and her mother, Julie, made for us. This one was my favorite. A jingle bell angel.
Good memories with all of these ornaments. It's fun to have them on my tree.







5 comments:
I love the ornaments that you have. They don't make the classic ones like they used to. They're all stupid (I mean silly) and plastic. And the pictures are great.
Do you want ballerina ornaments? I get them every year and I never put them on my tree because our tree is "themed" and "color coordinated." I could send you some. :)
Yes please!!
I know, you really can't find them like the wood ones anymore. That's why I had to snag them, even if they were all broken and a little worse for wear.
PS: "Themed" and "color coordinated"?! This I must see.
I'm glad you snagged those ornaments. Love these pictures.
I heart these pictures and your ornament memories.
P.S. Thirty is super fun!
Post a Comment