However, Photoshop is the cream of the crop. It's the best you can get. The full version is a small fortune and Photoshop Elements (just it's basics) still runs about $150. But it's worth it if you can get it. Photoshop is epic in it's capabilities. What I know about it is miniscule and I can probably spend the rest of my life discovering everything that it can offer. There are about a hundred different ways to do any given task and possibilities are endless as far as the out come. Simply put, it's overwhelming. Frightening, even. And the only thing to do is to jump in with both feet.
I'm going to talk about the two basic edits I do on every single photo I edit. Like I mentioned at the beginning, I was so sad that my photos didn't have that professional look to them, saturated colors, really white whites. They looked... muddled. So the first thing I'm going to teach you how to do is to up the contrast.
Most people are going to recommend that you make a duplicate copy of your original image just in case something happens and you can't undo what you've done. To do that, open your image in Photoshop. In the top menu bar, click Image > Dupliate Copy. This will make a copy. I'd close or minimize your original so you don't accidentally work on it. The image I'm going to use today is this one of my sweet baby girl when she was maybe 6 or 7 months old.
Dang, she was a cute baby and I love this photo, but it definitely needs a little help, so we're going to add some contrast. Like I said, there are many ways to accomplish this, but the easiest way I've found is to use the Curves function. Go back to the Image menu again in the menu bar > Adjustments > Curves OR on the right side of your screen there will be your Layers palette. Look for a circle that is half filled in, click on that, then Curves. A window will pop up. Click on the Presets and there will be one for Linear Contrast. Click that. This will make the darks darker and the lights lighter. For this image I clicked it twice.
Much better, no? The first one looks like it has a grey film over it. The second one is much clearer. Now, you may have noticed in the Auto Contrast option in the Adjustments menu. Yeah, I just found that as I was writing this. That works even better. (See?! You learn new things all the time.)
I suggest spending some time playing around in that Curves window and the presets. Lots of fun, cool tools in there. You can lighten, darken, etc.
Next, I like to sharpen. Sharpening should be subtle, in my opinion. If you over sharpen, things start to look a little wacky (as my 4 year old would say). To sharpen, you need to make sure that your background layer in your layers palette is selected. I suppose this step can be done first, but I like the immediate gratification of the contrast, so I do that first. Once you're ready to sharpen, in the top menu bar click Filter > Sharpen > Smart Sharpen. Then adjust the sliders for amount and radius until it is to your liking. Make sure the Preview box is checked so you can see the adjustments happen. You can click it on and off to see how you're doing or in the window, if you click and old the mouse button down on the image, it will show you the difference. I usually take it easy with sharpening, but I had a teacher tell me that he takes it as far as he can before it starts to look pixelated. Or wacky.
Like I said, subtle, but her eyes are clearer.
So, here's the before and after:
I probably could have lightened her up a bit using that Curves Adjustments window, but you get the idea.
Next time, I'll tell you about Auto Curves, my new favorite trick!
Happy Photoshopping!





3 comments:
Dude! You're a life saver! I recently found a copy of Elements 2.o that I lost a while back. It was so different from anything I'd ever used that I never gave it a shot. This lesson was very helpful.
So, I tried to do a few things and it kept telling me I hadn't selected any pixels. How do I select pixels?
Why is layering good?
Yay! I'm so glad it helped.
What are you trying to do that it wants you to select pixels? You can try going to Select from the top menu and then Select All or (I don't know how Elements is laid out) there should be a selection tool, probably looks like a rectangle marquee or something like that. You can use that to select just the part you want.
For the contrast and sharpening it shouldn't ask you to select anything, but make sure that in your layers palette your background layer is selected.
That's what I wasn't doing--selecting the background layer. I figured that part out. Thanks for answering my not-so-detailed question about layering. What I meant was why is layering better than just editing the way you do in Picasa, or another editing software? You answered that, too.
New question, how can I change the border of my pictures? My cousin does a lot of fun torn edge and rounded edge type of stuff. I want to be like her.
Post a Comment