Thursday, June 14, 2007

I Got Comfortable

Good grief. So my advice to all new moms has been to expect things to constantly change. Don't ever get comfortable with anything your child does because before you know it they'll be doing something completely different. So how come I'm so frustrated and so suprised that my own son has done an about face on me?! Since Aidan was six months old he has been this GREAT sleeper. After about a week of screaming himself to sleep, you'd put him down and he'd be out. Not a peep. Any lapse in that sweet schedule was my own doing, especially after he'd be sick (you moms and dads out there know what I'm talking about). But for almost a year and a half now my kid has been the epitome of good sleep habits. Bedtime, no prob. Naptime, a cinch. But all of the sudden he's fighting bedtime! Even when I think he's finally settled down and nodded off I'm sorely mistaken! I went into his room at 10:00 pm the other night to make sure he was covered up after kicking and screaming himself to sleep and he was STILL semi-conscious!! He even tried to get up!! Who is this child?! What happened to my bedtime champ?! And why am I still so suprised that he has all the sudden changed?! I should have known better! I should have expected it not to last! I suppose I got comfortable, cocky, even. "Oh, my kid's such a good sleeper. I can just put him down and he goes to sleep without a problem." That must be it. I was too sure of myself as a mother. The little stinker is just showing me who's really boss, and it ain't me.

6 comments:

Marie said...

LOL! If it makes you feel any better, I was told that this starts to happen when kids become more aware of their world and surroundings, and they're too excited to go to sleep. I've also heard that kids do this when their brains are growing and developing more. Who knows if it's really true, but it sounded good.

Annie Get Your Camera said...

That does make me feel better! It makes sense, too. He always wants to get up and go "outside" or "downstairs". Guess I just have to wait it out... Grrrr...

Wendy said...

I've also heard theories about excitement and growing brains, and even growing pains, but I wouldn't be too surprised if the whole no-sunset-until-almost 10 p.m. thing is screwing with his circadian rhythms. Perhaps it's time for some blackout shades?

Sue said...

Kids also need less sleep as they age. Really. That was a hard one for me to accept. When each one stopped napping, it was a hard pill to swallow. But I eventually had to decide between a nice long afternoon nap with an 11PM bedtime, or no nap and a normal bedtime.

Bummer.

mom2nine said...

Oh, kids are so full of surprises. There is probably a cure for the sharpie-pen artwork. When one of my darlings created a masterpiece on the front of our organ, I discovered that cheap hairspray (think Aquanet) took the ink right off without damaging the finish. Don't let it sit, just spray and rub. And I agree with Wendy and Sue about the sleep habit. Lots of kids give up naps about Aiden's age.

Annie Get Your Camera said...

I'll have to try the aquanet! Great tip!