My sister calls me "Martha" on occassion because I like to do crafts and I like to make things pretty when it comes to presents and decorating for events and whatnot. I'm not ashamed of it. My latest "Martha moment" comes in the form of quilting. I'm not very good at it and go as basic as I can (i.e. tied block quilts) but I really enjoy it. I'm in the process of making a blankie for my new babe.
Seemingly unrelated to my crafting tendencies, I've been wanting to find some kind of ongoing service project for myself. I've felt a need to "feed the poor and help the needy". A few months ago I noticed a very short blurb in the paper about volunteer opportunities and there was one called Project Linus. What it is is an organization that provides handmade blankets to hospitals, fire stations, police stations, etc. for children who have been in a traumatizing situation. They call them "hugs". I finally got off my proverbial duff and emailed the lady who is in charge of the Salt Lake chapter (the organization is all over the country) and got some more info. I am really excited to get started and to help out. I'm glad for talents (however meager) that my Heavenly Father gave me and opportunities to magnify those talents for the good of others.
I encourage you all to check out their website (see it posted at right) and lend a helping hand if you are so inclined.
3 comments:
I call you "Martha" because I wish I was more like that. I'm just not very good at that kind of stuff and I admire the fact that you have the "martha" trait.
Good for you. I wish I had some ability in that arena. You'll always know which present was from me, because it looks like a five year old wrapped it.
LOL! I'm not saying I'm any good at it. No matter what I do my squares always end up being different sizes which therefore means my quilts look VERY handmade.
Post a Comment