Monday, September 10, 2007

Xanthippe

X is for Xanthippe (pronounced zan-tip-ee). I searched the dictionary for a word beginning with X, guess what I found? Most X words relate to yellow/pale/colorless, dry or wood. Interesting, no? However, there was an entry for Xanthippe. She was the wife of Socrates. The definition goes as such: "wife of Socrates: the prototype of the quarrelsome, nagging wife". I am not a quarrelsome or nagging wife, not because it is not in my nature. I'm sure I could pick a good fight or two, I just don't want the aggravation. Being quarrelsome and a nag seems to be exhausting for all involved, and who wants that? Not me, that's for sure. I pity Xanthippe that her claim to fame is being defined in the dictionary as the prototype of the nag. How sad! Hopefully my life will amount to much more, at least to things more positive.

2 comments:

Eva said...

Xanthippe is the name I loved before Xantha. I never heared the part about the nagging wife. I guess it's a good thing I transferred my ardor to the more mellow version.

Annie Get Your Camera said...

Yes, definitely a good thing. :)