Tuesday, March 18, 2008

No! It Can't Be!!

I'm going to spare you all the truly disgusting details, if you want to google it be my guest, but be prepared to be grossed out, but I have stumbled across the answer to a "condition" that I have involving my tonsils that I have had for so many years I can't even remember when it started.  It's called Chronic Cryptic Tonsillitis and it's most obvious symptom is these gross white pebbly stone things that come out of the tonsils.  Gross, huh?  I won't tell you what those are made of, but it's foul.  Anyway, I was looking for answers today and came across a blog (of all things) about it and was shocked when I found out what the other symptoms of it were: chronic fatigue (check), frequent sore throats (check), colds that don't go away (check), headaches (check).  I've got all of those.  The only cure, though, is a tonsillectomy and from all I've heard and read that's no picnic, right Katie?  But is that really the answer?!  I can't believe that my tonsils could be the root of my problems!  And judging by all the comments I've read, it's not that uncommon, so perhaps you have them too, and if you do, you're welcome for turning the light on.  :)

13 comments:

Alex and Ashleigh said...

Oh no Annie! So are you going to have them removed and eat lots of ice cream?! That is kind of crazy and I am OK with not knowing all the details! I have a weak stomach!

Motorcycle Grandma said...

I've had the same problem when I was younger. But after two of your siblings had their tonsils out, no more problem - especially the gross white pebbles - because they were no longer bringing home the germs. When you take Emily to the ENT, you may want to book enough time to have him check you out and give an opinion.

If you want, you can blame this on me. But you were pretty healthy as a child and a tonsilectomy wasn't needed.

Motorcycle Grandma said...

I checked this "condition" out on line. The site that I read suggested gargling with salt water on a regular basis. Sounds like you should try that first before considering surgery.

Annie Get Your Camera said...

From what I've read the gargling only alleviates the pebbles and doesn't solve the other problems which would be a huge bonus in my book. Once we get our new insurance squared away I'm going to make appointments for me, Emily and Aidan. (He has "king-size" tonsils, according to Dr. Cannon. And Dr. Cannon said if Aidan started snoring to have him checked out. Aidan snores.)

Katie said...

yeah- that is why i got mine out. i'm sorry it wasn't very fun- but you never know. everyone is different. maybe you will have a better experience than i did. (i hope). good luck i have a ENT if you need one. :)

Wendy said...

So, as someone who had her tonsils removed after early childhood, I can tell you this: it was horrible. But then again, I had an abnormally difficult recovery. HOWEVER, it was really, really , really worth it. It didn't solve all the medical issues I had, but it got rid of a lot of them. You might want to do it. Just make sure that no matter how much it hurts, you drink and eat what they tell you to. You'll have a better recovery that way. If you want gory details, email me.

Kelly said...

I had my tonsils out and I don't remember it being too horrible - and this is me. The medical mystery of the family. The one that all medical procedures always have some sort of complication. It was a but painful swallowing but it wasn't excruciating. Remember...you've had two kids. I don't think anything could be as painful as that. It's all relative.

Kelly said...

and by but i mean bit. :p

miriam said...

what is an ENT?

and good luck! I hope that your surgery works well. If it makes you feel better, Katie had the worst experience (with having her tonsils removed) out everyone I've ever known (poor Katie).

Annie Get Your Camera said...

Kelly, you were a wee tike when you got yours out. It's harder to recover from when you're older.

Bird, and ENT is an ear nose throat doctor. ;) I know Katie's was so bad! You still can't taste things, can you, Katie?

I haven't scheduled any surgery, yet. I need to see a doctor first, but I'm really kind of hoping that he/she says it's a good idea, especially if it helps with my other issues, namely being tired all the time, no matter how much or how little sleep I get.

Motorcycle Grandma said...

Did you ever think that a post about "tonsil stones" would get you so many responses?

Annie Get Your Camera said...

I know! I think it may be a record!

Jocie said...

Annie, I totally had this growing up and for some reason they Would Not take them out. It was some phase the doctors went through. Anyway, once I missed school for a month because I was soo sick to eat. I got to hang out at my grandpa's house a lot and drink hot chocolate and juice all day. The last year in High School I finally got Strep more than once a year. I mean over Thanksgiving and Chritmas breaks and lost 20 lbs from not eating. Then they took out my tonsils and I have been all better. Pretty sick for wanting to get strep, but they would not take them out for Just Tonsilitis. I still get sick, but never as bad as when I was a kid.