Wednesday, August 29, 2007
Little White Lies
L is for little white lies. I used to be adept at lying. It's how I got through high school, mostly. Mainly PE class. I once faked a sprained ankle so I wouldn't have to run the mile. I was pretty convincing. I guess I had such an angelic quality about me people didn't think twice when I spun them a yarn. Since leaving college I had abandoned such practices, but as a parent I find myself telling more than a few little white lies to my son. "No, Aidan, you don't want that cookie. It's yucky." "Aidan, don't put your cars down the central vacuum hole. A monster lives down there and he will eat them." "Aidan, eat this broccoli, it's yummy." Should I feel bad about this? Because, honestly, I don't. You can't reason with a two year old, they just don't have the capacity and when I find that he's on the winning end of an argument it's just so much easier to misdirect him, if you will, than lose my dignity. So what if he grows up afraid of monsters that live down vacuum holes or thinking that cookies are yucky? And I'm sure he won't forget, either. After all, he still thinks a hammer is called a knock-knock despite the fact that it was over six months ago that I erroneously told him that's the sound that a hammer makes and have been trying to tell him otherwise since. He does not let things go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You could just start saying "Because I said so, that's why!" Kids LOVE that one.
Sometimes with kids, a "little white lie" is easier than going through the long involved conversation of: "Why?" However, those little white lies may come back to get you when your kids are grown, find out the truth and call you on it. It's happened to me!
But invariably after you say "Because I said so, that's why!", the little darlings come back with, "Why?". Answer to that one is "Because I'm the Mom." And hopefully, that's the end of it!
Post a Comment