"We can normally pick up on parenting tricks with most of the kids, but with Aidan, we don't know what to do," she tells me. "He screams bloody murder or cries and cries, and it's upsetting the younger kids. Do you guys have a trick?"
Color me ashamed. I was in denial. I had been clinging on to the hope that he was magically well behaved for everyone else because no one has said anything, but when I asked her if this was something new she said it wasn't. It had been going on for awhile. Awhile. My kid's the troublemaker. Ugh. So, delusion shattered, we've been working on his behavior (and our parenting skills) this week. It started out really great. I was all pumped and motivated to set him right, but somehow the week has just deteriorated. Yesterday was particularly awesome. By 12:00 pm I had confined both of the kids to their beds for their 1:00 pm nap. I ignored Aidan until he finally fell asleep an hour and a half later.
It's been rough. Most days I feel like Mean Mommy and just totally not enamored with him like I used to be. I feel like I'm constantly scolding him, which only exacerbates the situation. He probably feels like he's a horrible little boy. I've been trying to change my tone with him and to show him some more love, so when he said "I love you, too" today without any prompting or expectation of it, it just warmed me a little. Soon enough I'll look back on this time and think "Thank goodness that's over!" But for now, I'll take the little tender mercies as they come.

*His new little creatures. I have been feeling the crafty bug and since I'm not particularly so, I picked up these little kits at Michaels. You pretty much just glue them together. As you can see, I didn't do such a fabulous job. Especially with the monkey. His eyes are a little wonky and he's permanently looking over his left shoulder. Well, one eye is, anyway. But, he loves them and proclaims them his "new best friends", so what more can a girl ask for?
3 comments:
I love the little creatures.
Maybe you need to figure out some kind of reward system to help Aidan get back in control. It could be that he's hit the terrible twos a little late and needs a few more boundaries set. You could even tie it in to the potty training.
The joys of parenthood!! Gotta love it! I heard it doesn't get easier as they get older. Lucky us right?? My kids are always WONDERFUL for everyone else, but then totally different at home. I don't get it!! But your little guy will grow out of it and get sick of crying for an hour and a half before a nap. It'll shorten as time goes on. But good luck and stick to your guns!!
Um, your creatures are awesome. I want.
I hate the contrariness. With my midget it seems that there is always the unspoken third option (option 1: do this, option 2: sit in your bed), which is ignoring me completely. And lately, she has been saying exactly the opposite of Aidan, and it's still driving me crazy.
Me, "Don't put your shoes on the table."
Her, "Yes I CAN!"
Me, "You don't hit Mama."
Her, "YES I CAN!"
Me, "You can't drive the car. Go climb in your seat."
Her, "YES I can!"
ARRRRRGH. Two year olds can be SO fun. But, I guess the independence will serve her well in life, and at least she's got a can-do attitude, eh? Good luck with Aidan. Have you tried the reward thing your mom suggested? I find that the promise of stickers can work magic on my kid.
Post a Comment