Tuesday, January 12, 2010

How To Tuesday {Quick Rolls}

Growing up, Sunday dinner was always the same.  Pot roast, mashed potatoes, gravy, broccoli, beets, corn and rolls.  Every Sunday.  My dad loves his pot roast.  Every once in awhile we got a roasted chicken instead of the pot roast and it was like a treat.  I suppose that's why I prefer chicken over pot roast now.  In fact, in my home, we don't have pot roast and I'll admit, it's a little strange after all those years of Sunday Pot Roast.

Anyway, I'm not here to talk about the roast, I'm here to talk about the rolls.  My mom used Rhodes frozen dough rolls.  Every Sunday morning there'd be a pan of frozen dough balls, covered with plastic, sitting in a sunny spot in the house.  By the time dinner came around they had risen to spectacular heights and were ready for the oven.  Every once in awhile, if my mom forgot to get them out before it was too late, she'd use the quick rise method on the bag.  Boil a pot of water, preheat the oven, turn the oven off, put the rolls in the oven over a pan of the boiled water and let them rise for an hour or so.

As a young married, I felt it was too much work to get the rolls out and sit around all day to rise, so for the first few years of our marriage, we didn't have them.  (Well, except for the two years we lived with my parents, then we had them nearly every Sunday.)  We had store bought rolls.  I know, the horror!  When we moved out, I started buying the Rhodes rolls and committed to making them.  I did alright, but there was one day I had a craving for them, but it there was only a half hour before dinner and I hadn't gotten any out.   But I wanted them, so I got them out, started the quick rise method, but here's the thing:  I didn't wait until they had "doubled in size" as the instructions require.  I only let them get a little bit bigger and then turned the oven on.  And the result: marvelous.  Soft, dense, with structure.  Not light and airy.  From that moment on, my roll baking habits have taken on a new life and we have them at least twice a week.  And this is how I do it:

First things first, get out a small pot and boil some water.  I didn't take a picture of it because boiling water is boiling water.  You know what it looks like, right?

Next, get out two pans, whatever size to hold all the rolls you want and then a pie size or round cake pan size pan for the boiling water.  Spray you roll pan with non-stick spray and arrange your rolls.


Set your oven to preheat to around 270.  Turn it off when it gets to the right temperature.  Pour your boiling water into your pan and put on a bottom rack.  Place your rolls just above it.  Close the door and let them steam away.

(I really like this photo.  The light, the steam.  It's dreamy.)

I leave them in for maybe 20 minutes, half an hour if I've got the time.  But I know they're ready when the look plump like this:


Then I take out the pan of water, turn the oven on to 350 and let them bake till the tops are golden.  Pull them out, put some butter on top and voila!  Delicious rolls that rise and bake while I'm getting the rest of dinner ready!



Unfortunately, these particular rolls were not so delicious.  The pan, apparently, had met it's end and had left a nice tinny flavor on our rolls.  But normally, they are perfect.

Mmmm.  They look good, though, don't they?

9 comments:

Grandma Cebe said...

It's interesting how cooking accidents turn into something wonderful.

To clarify, I now make home made rolls, freeze them and pull a few out for Sunday dinner. I haven't bought Rhodes rolls for several months. We had the last of the rolls on Sunday...time to make more.

tylerandmommy said...

They DO look good! I love the picture of them rising in the oven...it's fabulous. I haven't made rolls in....um...I dunno. You make me ashamed. And I have NO idea what Rhodes rolls are.

Grandma Cebe said...

P.S. I didn't boil the water. I just let the hot water run until it was really hot, then filled the pan for the oven. But maybe your method is more effective.

Annie Jarman said...

Maybe you can't get Rhondes Rolls in Maryland, Candis... They're just frozen dough balls you get in the freezer section at the store. They come in an orange bag. They also have the frozen cinnamon rolls and orange rolls. You should check them out. People will be impressed.

Mom, those homemade rolls are way to much work for my tiny kitchen. Very good, but too much work.

melissa said...

My mom made homemade rolls every Sunday. I tried it once. There were a lot of tears invovled. I found out about Rhodes rolls a couple of years ago. That's when the healing began.

Wendy said...

Yeah, Rhodes rolls aren't available on the East Coast. I've looked. I've been disappointed.

I'm giggling that you said in the first couple years of your marriage you had store-bought rolls. Rhodes rolls ARE store-bought rolls, you just bake them yourself. But that can be our little secret. We'll pretend they're totally homemade. ;)

Wendy said...

P.S. that photo with the steam is awesome.

The Shelton's said...

Funny Rhodes roll story. For Thanksgiving dinner this year I totally forgot to pull the rolls out to rise before dinner. So, we got some "store bought" rolls, but I still wanted them so I put them out on top of the dryer thinking that would help them rise. Well, I then forgot about them and had dinner and then went to the movies and came home and then remembered them. They were HUGE!! Falling over the side of the pan! I still baked them and everyone still ate them! Note to self - remember that you got rolls out to rise!!

Annie Jarman said...

lol, Wendy! I will concede that technically they are "store bought". :)

Traci, that has happened a time or two for us! Still good, though!