Thursday, January 28, 2010

Today is my Friday

And I am grateful for that.  

Emily and Aidan started Kindermusik this week.  I seriously think this is going to save our relationships.  Not only are they doing something besides watching TV or fighting or driving us all crazy for 45 minutes every week, but it's good for them, too.  Helps all that higher brain functioning and stuff.  Plus, the materials they send home may help us to see a near end to the PBSKids addiction.  (Not saying that PBS Kids is bad, I am a HUGE supporter of PBSKids.  I mean, Aidan knows all about omnivores and herbivores and carnivores because of it.  Good stuff PBS is.  Good stuff.)

Emily started ballet today.  (She is currently prancing and twirling and shaking her groove thing all over our family room.)  I discovered that I am "one of those moms", the kind we complain about and put signs up for discouraging them from hanging around while class is going.  I couldn't help but peek through the windows as much as I could.  Miss Kathy said she was really great.  Followed all the directions and everything.  She ran out of class saying "Mama!  I had fun!"  My heart swelleth!

I have felt grateful all week that we have been so blessed to have these opportunities which we wouldn't, under normal circumstances, have.  Emily gets to dance for free and their Kindermusik tuition is very generously discounted because I work at CBT.  Blessings abound, as unworthy as I feel.

I turned off the TV yesterday and played games with Aidan nearly all afternoon.  If you truly understood the TV addiction going on in this househould, you'd be impressed by what a big deal that was.  For both of us.  He's such an amazing kid with an incredible imagination that I have guilt about not properly fostering it.  It was good to detox.  I'm hoping to do more of that, you know, to get over myself and be a more active parent.  

I am ready for spring.  I want to be outside.  I know it will be here before I know it, but it still seems to be taking way too long.

I'm off to give the kids their bath.  The Hubs has a meeting with our Bishop (he's the Ward Clerk) right now and on his way home he's picking up Cafe Rio.  (Thanks all my FB friends for dinner suggestions.  I'm going to use those in the coming weeks, but tonight the ultimate convenience wins.)  So I hope to have the kids bathed, fed and on their way to bed by the time he gets home so we can veg out and watch our Thursday night comedies in peace.  

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I am so excited to see little Miss Em in her first dance recital! I'm picturing her as one of the little baby swans from last year's Swan Princess...so adorable!

Grandma Cebe said...

Just so you know, Aidan loves to play "Go Fish". I have a box of some kids' card games. One of them is "Go Fish". You have to play on his level (letting him kind of see what you have in your hand), but he loves it. The box also has a game of "Old Maid" that we use as a matching game. He also loves Checkers - again on his level. Rarely any PBS kids when they're over at my place.

I, too, can't wait until Em's first ballet recital.

Annie Jarman said...

I never said the PBS addiction was theirs. Its mine. And we play those games here, too.

No swans for Emily yet. This year she'll be some kind of bug. The preballet show is "A Bug's Ball". So think lady bug or butterfly or something.

Ashleigh said...

Can't wait to see cute pictures of her! How fun!

The Shelton's said...

And here I am complaining that I can't get Raigan to sit down and watch tv. It's driving me crazy. I'm like, kid, look this is a magical place where you can go and get lost for hours! She won't do it. The day my children discover tv is the best day ever for me!! Have I also mentioned that I will not be winning any mother of the year awards anytime soon?