Saturday, November 13, 2010

Bathroom

Went shopping with the kids today.  We drove up to Park City for 15 minutes of shopping (totally worth it, saved 50% and Baby Girl got a nap) and a stop at Mrs. Fields before heading back down to the valley before grocery shopping.  We hit Costco first and then Smith's.

My Mommy radar was on full alert that the kids might need to use the facilities before we made it back home.  Of course, I was right.  (Side note:  The other day Aidan said to me: "Mama, I know that you're always right."  See.  Proof.  Even the kid gets it.)

At Smith's Aidan was having a hard time walking and pushing his little kid cart at the same time, so I asked him if he needed to go to the bathroom and he replied in the affirmative, which surprised me because normally I get a wail of "Nooooooo!!!  I don't NEEEEEED TO!!" even if he's standing at the potty and using it in the proper manner.  So off we went.  I guess his concern at this point was not so much that he had to use the bathroom as it was having to wash his hands after.

Before I go on, I should tell you that Aidan has some OCD issues, including he refuses to wash his hands with anything other than the "fishy soap" we have at home.  It's a Kroger brand soap bottle with an orange fish on it that I just keep refilling with soap from Costco.  It has to be the fishy soap bottle.  I have to keep his preschool supplied with bottles of fishy soap.  And lest you are thinking of suggesting that he use hand sanitizer instead I'll stop you right there.  That's a no go.  Not even the good smelling kinds from Bath & Body Works.  I think it's a combo of the slimy feel and the smell of the alcohol, which his discerning nose can smell no matter how well it has been disguised.

Anyway, back to the point of this little story.  Fighting Aidan to go to the bathroom in the first place and then washing his hands afterwards is a battle I am tired of fighting.  So, if we are in a place where he doesn't have his precious, I tell him that he doesn't have to wash his hands if he doesn't touch ANYTHING.  Sorry if you think that's gross, but it is a necessity if I want to avoid either a hugantic meltdown in the middle of the store OR peed pants.  And, to my knowledge, nobody has died or gotten seriously ill because of it.  Never fear, though.  If we ever visit your abode, he will be required to wash his hands.

Anyway (again), we have this little no washing hands in public agreement between us and it has helped in public potty breaks in a big way.  However, he hasn't quite grasped the idea of discretion.  So (going back to the original story), as we walk to the bathroom he's excitedly asking me,

"I don't have to wash my hands this time right, Mama?" and I'm trying to shush him the best that I can.  I'm okay with him not washing his hands, but I'm not sure my fellow shoppers would feel the same, especially without knowing all the details of why this mama is allowing such a thing.

So, potty being completed, we meet up with Husband and Emily, and surprise!  Emily has to go, too.  So off we go.  She has no problem washing her hands, so we wash.

We meet up with Husband and Aidan, and surprise again!  Aidan needs to go again.  Guess he didn't completely take care of business.  This time I do make him wash his hands because there was no avoiding him touching things.  I prepared myself for a fight but this time, as we approached the sink, he said thoughtfully,

"So, Mama, the soap kills the germs?"

"Yes."

"Like the bath soap kill the germs off our body?"

I roll with it, "Yep.  The soap bubbles trap the germs on your hands and sends them down the sink and they die."

"Ohhhhh!!  I get it!"

"That's why we have to wash our hands whether we like the smell of the soap or not, okay?"

"Mm-hm!"

Ladies and gentlemen, I don't want to jinx anything, but it's possible that my little OCD boy had a breakthrough tonight.  I won't count my chicks before they hatch, but I'm hoping.  Boy am I hoping!

2 comments:

Grandma Cebe said...

OCD or not, sometimes it just takes kids a little time to figure things out. Yay, for the break through.

Wendy said...

That must have been such a great moment for you (and Aidan)!