
My Aidan has a special ear. He was born three weeks early and I guess this one ear just didn't have time to fully form, so it looks more like a satellite dish than an ear. Or maybe a bat ear, I wonder if he has super sonic hearing in it? I, of course, think it's adorable, as any mother would, but I worry. Pretty soon he's going to be getting to the age were kids start being mean about anything out of the ordinary and I worry that he's going to be teased for it. I don't know how noticeable it is. It sticks out pretty good compared to the other. Maybe people will only notice his eyes and not pay an iota of attention to his ear. But I want to prepare him anyway. I want to make sure that he's happy with himself and confident so that when some silly kid calls him Dumbo he isn't destroyed by it. But how do you teach a kid confidence when you yourself have very little? That's a tricky question. I don't know.
Speaking of ears, Aidan has his first ear infection. He woke up last night at 11:00 crying about wanting to go downstairs and have "breffast". I took him downstairs and got him some milk, but the crying turned into wailing and the wailing turned into screaming. He then started pulling and itching at his ear. And I thought he just had a cold. His screaming woke everyone up, except the baby, and between four adults we were able to get him calm enough to reduce the screaming to whimpers every now and then. I think the current tally on how many times we've watched "Cars" is up to about four or five, and the tally for how many times we've watched the Tractor Tipping scene is up to eight or nine. I wasn't in love with that movie in the first place and now I'm really over it. He's finally sleeping though, thank goodness. Hopefully he'll be feeling much better when he wakes up. I hate it when my babies are sick.
1 comment:
it's not that obvious. i never noticed his special ear before and i didn't really see it when you pointed it out.
it's hard to have kids with "special" features. . .i can kind of relate. my brother david is special. . .and sometimes it scares me to just let him go out and live in a normal world full of mean little kids.
the only thing you can do is love him and let your home be a haven. and to trust in other people. my brother has been mostly fine his entire schoolage career, no one really minds that he's different. i'm sure aidan will be fine too.
Post a Comment