Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Why? Because.

My son, Aidan, the cute little dragon, is on the uphill side of two and he has an incredible vocabulary for his age. He speaks in full sentences and is always figuring out new words and, yes, proper grammar. People are amazed at his ability to communicate when they meet him. I tell you this not to brag but to explain to you why I hate the word "why", especially if a question mark follows it. He's an inquisitive little tyke. All the time it's "Why?" Today it was:

"Aidan, don't throw your toys in the garbage!"

"Why?"

"Because the garbage is yucky and once things go in the garbage they don't come out."

"Why?"

"Because it's yucky."

"Why?"

"I just told you why."

"Why?"

"Because."

......"Why?"

And that brings me to my other most hated word: "because". Why does that not suffice as an acceptable answer for a two year old who probably wouldn't understand any explanation I give him anyway? And why is that best I can do? Because? What does that word even mean? I've said it so much it has started to sound like a foreign word to me. I've gotten to the point where I'll just answer him once and then if he keeps asking "Why?" I ignore him. I can't feed that fire! It drives me crazy! Heaven knows I love that kid, but there are times when I just wish he spoke like every two year old his age.

3 comments:

Eva said...

my favorite goes like this
lily: mom what's that?
Eva: it's a dog (or whatever)
Lily: Why?
I used to try to explain why things are what they are. Now I just say "because that's what it is"

Annie Get Your Camera said...

I love that one too. Gracious, child, it just IS!

Wendy said...

Brace yourself, this could last for a couple of years. My nieces used to do this incessantly when I would babysit them, but I found a way to stop it. Once I got tired of explaining it, I'd come up with some silly answer that would make them laugh and they'd usually forget to ask why. Usually.

I bet Aidan would understand more of your explanations than you think, he's probably just really curious about everything and the best word he can find to inquire is "why". Can't fault him for being smart. At least his favorite word isn't "no", or Julianne's favorite, which isn't really a word, it's just screaming like a banshee. Still, it's gotta be annoying sometimes.