Aidan discovered "scary" this year. Prior to the initial "scary" incident he didn't really have a concept of fear except when his daddy threw him too high in the air or Grandpa dangled him from his ankles. He didn't know that
things could be scary. That all changed in the middle of August. (I have to mention that I really hate that we've started selling seasonal items two and a half months BEFORE the holiday. It just reminds me that much sooner how I will be scrambling at the last minute to get everything ready for said holidays.) We were at Michael's craft store looking for baskets for the changing table. There was a Halloween display on the way to
check stand with electronic ghoulish figures. As Aidan hadn't been hitherto frightened by such creatures we stopped to look at a skeleton pirate poking it's head out of a treasure chest. Bad idea. His already big eyes grew to the size of
Frisbees and his little hands reached out to me to rescue him. We quickly moved on not noticing the motion activated life size mummy that screeched as we hurried past. Aidan shrieked at the top of his lungs and the tears he'd been able to hold back from the skeleton came down in torrents down his cheeks. For days he talked about the "scary mommy". From then on we had to be careful as Halloween decor went up in the grocery store and scary movies started popping up on TV. He was even afraid of the Charlie Brown Halloween special. During the course of it I looked at him to see tears brimming in his eyes. I asked him if he was okay. "Yes," he said not tearing his eyes away from the screen lest the costumed characters jumped out of the TV. "Is this scary?" "Yes," he said, a little less certain. "Would you like me to change it?" "Yes," as he inched closer to me. Oh the poor kid. But Halloween is over, thank goodness and no more scary mommies are in sight, unless you count me on a bad day.
Aidan got to go trick-or-treating this year. He was going to be Tigger, but I never could find a costume for him and by the time I got around to actually trying to figure something else out I was afraid he'd be going as a ghost wearing a pillowcase with eye holes cut out (he's a little tyke). But, miracle of miracles, I found a dragon costume at Old Navy. It was the very last one and it was 50% off. Can't beat that. So he was a dragon, which he loved. He kept calling it "My Dragon Tales!" He was the cutest dragon I've ever seen. He had a great time trick-or-treating, but I'm afraid that the cold he has now is a result of it. Oh well.




9 comments:
Oh, what a cute little dragon! I love the Old Navy costumes. My youngest, Zoe, she was their ladybug costume.
As far as him being scared, I'm sure he'll grow out of it. My 5 year old was like that when he was young. But it sure does break your heart while this phase lasts.
Oh, sad. Let's hope no strangers heard him yelling about "Scary Mommy", we wouldn't want them to get the wrong idea!
He was a very cute dragon. Was he in heaven with all that candy?
Adorable Halloween pics!
That costume is adorable.
I love reading about other people's children and the stages they go through and thinking about how in just a few short years I'll be there blogging about the same thing. :)
your babies are ADORABLE! :D
i'm guess you were giving emily a bath in the kitchen sink. I can see the refrigerator behind you in the picture...
and you've got a pretty cute little boy there.
Modern Princess: I saw that ladybug costume and wished my little girl was big enough for it! I, too, love the Old Navy costumes. Aidan was the monkey last year.
Wendy: Every time we would go to the store he'd talk about the scary mommy and not wanting to see the scary mommy, so I'd repeat back to him that it was a scary MUMMY! I always worried some stranger would misinterpret! And Aidan only got one piece of candy to eat. I was going to let him have one piece a day until it was gone (which would have been about a week) but he's totally forgotten about it and I'm not about to remind him!
Kelly: You're right. I was. Cheater.
He was the cutest "dragon tale". It didn't help his scary mommy phobia when I took him to the grocery store in Sept. I was trying to be a good grandma and gave the Halloween display a wide berth. Wouldn't you know, some guy walked right up to an Elvira type display and touched it. That scary mommy had eyes that lit up and turned green. He was petrified!!
Thanks for the food the other day!
You know when I was little I had a bad dream... my dad told me that I could defeat any monsters or bad people in my dreams if I just told myself that every night before going to bed... I did that and since then I have had less than ten nightmares... that's about 28 years!
Perhaps you can come up with some scenario where Aiden can defeat his fears (probably with daddy)... in some way where he can feel as though he has control over the situation.
Good luck!
Post a Comment