Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Retail Therapy

I hate buying things for myself.  I hate it.  The wave of guilt that comes over me when I even think about buying myself a much need piece of clothing usually prevents me from making said purchase.  I just think about how I've got two growing kids who will actually not fit in their clothes in the coming months (well, Emily, anyway, Aidan is still wearing things from last year) and find it impossible to justify spending that hard to come by extra money on myself.  But, today I did.  I woke up grumpy.  I was up late working on photos and the kids woke me up earlier than I wanted them too, so I was not a happy girl.  And Aidan, bless his heart, is driving me nuts. I spent the morning scolding and yelling and putting him in time out.  (Please let this stage be over soon!!!)  I was feeling sorry for myself, I'll admit it.  And then I thought of new toenail polish.  Oh my how that made me happy!  And then I thought of how I needed a water bottle to take to work and the thought of owning my very own brand new water bottle made me even happier!  So I set out with the kids.  We went to Shopko.  After much deliberation and deciding I could not justify a $9 bottle of OPI polish, I settled on a sparkly purple Wet'N'Wild shade that cost me $.99.  I picked up a bottle of top coat too.  Then I perused the water bottles and chose a pretty blue one that was on clearance.  

It's amazing how $5.47 brightened my day!  And then when I got home from work I found out my amazing Hubster, who had stayed home sick from work today, had whipped up some buttermilk chicken and buttermilk mashed potatoes, all while battling a cranky 1 year old and defiant 3 year old!  He's my hero.  

1 comment:

Jocie said...

I totally do this too! There are so many things I have NOT bought because I think, "I need it, but do I Reeealy Neeed it? Maybe next week I will find something SUPER perfect and $5 cheaper and I will feel bad that I bought it already" Yea, that never happens. Good for you! I think I will paint my toenails too. :)