Wednesday, November 11, 2009

"'Cause your friends are my friends, and my friends are your friends..."

My kids have started playing together, like actually interacting with each other for more than 10 minutes without yelling at each other.  Laughing and making up games and being NICE.  They help each other and share and I don't have to play referee!

I hardly know what to do with myself.  Up until a few weeks ago they fought constantly.  I'm sure Aidan thought Emily was made of some kind of poisonous gas because he could hardly stand to be in the same room as her.  And Emily, well, she liked to push every button Aidan has whenever she could.

I don't know what changed, but all the sudden I hear "Hey, Em!  Come play robots with me!" or "Em, want to hear a story?" or "Lets make food!"  It's amazing.  It's been incredible to see the change develop, and I've got to say it warms my heart.  They are so funny!

Sunday they were playing sleepover.  They'd help each other get their blankets on, kiss each other goodnight and say "Night night, Em!"  "Night night, Aidan!"  "Night night, Christina!"  (Christina is Emily's baby doll.  Aidan named her.)  It was so cute.

The best part about it all is that they don't always need me to be their playmates anymore.  I love my kids, but I don't have the imagination for kid games.  I don't think I had the imagination for kid games when I was a kid.  So I'm loving this.  I always wanted them to be friends and for a long time there I thought they'd always be mortal enemies.  I'm glad to be proved wrong.

2 comments:

Grandma Cebe said...

This turn of events is probably a result of the preschool experience and Aidan maturing a little. He has realized he has a playmate 24/7, not just on Tuesday and Thursday morning...and that she's not made of poisonous gas.

Even though you don't remember, it was pretty much the same with you and Conor.

Amy Jarman said...

My kids do the same thing. Rebecca LOVES to take whatever toy Bentley is playing with and walk off with it. Bentley enjoys randomly hurting his sister. I talked to my mom and she said, "Just be glad they aren't both girls because it would be much worse."
Anyways...I am glad your two are switching gears. Happy play! Yeah!