Sunday, November 8, 2009

"The Dream"

Last Friday (two Fridays ago) The Hubster called from work and asked me if we had any plans set for this last Friday (did that make sense?).  I said no, he said, "Good, don't make any.  I have the most perfect date night for you.... Do you think your parents would take the kids overnight?"  Hmm....  He didn't tell me what we were doing, although he offered to when I asked for clues.  He apparently didn't realize that I didn't want to know, I just wanted to be teased.

So, Friday comes along and the kids are scheduled to sleep over at my parents and I am presented with tickets to Ballet West's "The Dream".  Essentially, my husband is awesome AND he has an awesome job that gets him sweet deals.

"The Dream" was wonderful.  It was actually three different pieces, the first was "Songs of the Valley",  a collection of pieces choreographed to American folk songs; the second was "Three Preludes" a pas de deux; and the second act was the one act ballet "The Dream" about "Midsummer Night's Dream".  Of the three pieces, "Three Preludes" was my favorite and it was danced by my new favorite ballerina, Romi Beppu.  Oh my, she was perfection.  Gorgeous lines, beautiful feet and incredible control and strength.  She danced with Michael Bearden, who was also gorgeous, but I couldn't take my eyes off Romi.  If I were ever to be a professional ballerina, I'd want to be just like her.  They are doing "Swan Lake" this season and if she's dancing Odette, I am so there.

"Songs of the Valley" took me some time to get into.  The first few songs were strange and the choreography seemed a little awkward, but towards the end it got better, especially "I Bought Me A Cat" and "Long Time Ago".  "The Dream" was very good, too, but I couldn't help but wish that Romi was dancing the part of Titania.

It was a good date night.  And the best part was that The Hubster enjoyed it, too.  He joked about pulling out his iTouch or falling asleep before it started, but he did neither and said he really liked "The Dream". Ladies, I've got myself a good man, don't I know it.  It was such a fun night that I wasn't incredibly bothered by the girls sitting behind us whispering about how rude the guy behind them was being by whispering during the opening of "The Dream".  Silly girls.

And I probably don't need to tell you how nice it was to sleep in and eat breakfast with out little ones fighting over who's having cereal for breakfast and who's looking at who.  Ah... parental luxuries!

So, thanks, Husband for a great date!  And thanks Grandma & Grandpa for taking the kids.  We really appreciate it!

2 comments:

Annie said...

I saw it a week ago, opening night, and we had Romi Beppu in "Three Preludes" too! She's amazing! The first piece with the barre was my favorite, but I love ALL of them! So glad you got to go too!

tylerandmommy said...

All I can say is I am SOOOO jealous!!