Thursday, November 5, 2009

Um, what?

Aidan, my eldest, sometimes asks me questions like:

"Mom, what does building houses mean?"

And then I sit there dumbfounded as I try to figure out what question he is actually trying to ask and usually end up replying with something lame like:

"It means building houses" or "I don't know what you're asking me."

To which he replies:

"But Mom, what does building houses mean?"

To which I, again, say:  "I don't know."  It's like he's speaking a different language.

I have a feeling that's how I'm going to be answering most of his questions because he's going to be smarter than me by the time he's in 3rd grade.

4 comments:

tylerandmommy said...

Tyler is right there at the moment too. Today he asks me "Mommy, what's inside my feet?" Um...well...bones and muscles and blood and stuff. "Mom, what are muscles?" Uh...these stretchy thingies that keep your bones together. "Mom, what are bones?" ARGH! I think I was one of those children and I am just getting payback...maybe you were too.

Amy Jarman said...

Bentley does the same thing. He asks how I cook things and all sorts of questions. It is hard to explain things because you know they won't understand, but eventually they will.

Annie Jarman said...

Oh, I don't mind those questions! We get those all the time, too. It's the ones that don't make any sense... what does building houses mean? What does THAT mean?! Ha ha!

Grandma Cebe said...

He seems to have a fascination with all things houses lately. You forgot to respond with Wendy's reply of choice "What do YOU think it means?"
It would be interesting to hear what he has to say.