Tuesday, November 3, 2009

How-To Tuesday {Chicken Pot Pie}

I'll admit it straight away:  I want to be Ree Drumond, aka The Pioneer Woman.  But really, who doesn't?  My chances of achieving her level of awesomeness are slim to none, especially in the case of cooking.  I don't love it.  I don't hate it, but preparing food does not cause me to swoon on a regular basis.  In fact, it hardly ever does.  Eating delicious food, however, does.  But, even though you won't be seeing me coming to a city near you for a recipe book signing tour any time soon, there are a few things that I like to make and are fairly impressive.  This is one of them:
w091027beardpumppiekelwork_0021


The recipe comes from this beautiful book:
w091027beardpumppiekelwork_0022
We love this cookbook. Many a wonderful recipe has been found within it's pages. Thank you to whoever gave this book to us as a wedding present, I can not remember who.


I really like that the ingredients are simple.  I usually have all of them on hand, except the pie crust, so it's not like I have to go out and buy a bunch of crazy stuff that only gets used for this recipe.  This is what you'll need:


1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas and carrots
1/3 cup butter or stick margarine
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3/cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 1/2 to 3 cups cut up cooked chicken or turkey
Pastry for 9-inch Two Crust pie (or store bought, which is what I do because it's way easier)


You'll want to get your chicken cooking first so it's ready when you are.  Next, you'll want to get your veggies out.  Rinse them with warmish water to thaw them a little.  I use peas, broccoli and corn and I hardly ever measure exactly 10oz.  Just dump some in a smallish colander and you're good.
w091027beardpumppiekelwork_0024


Then I get all my ingredients ready for the filling. Everything comes together really quickly, so it's a good idea to have all set to go. I use dried onion instead of fresh. Again, I'm all about the simple.
w091027beardpumppiekelwork_0029


Find yourself a pot and melt 1/3 cup butter.
w091027beardpumppiekelwork_0027


Once it's melted, toss in your onions, flour, salt and pepper.
w091027beardpumppiekelwork_0031


Mix it in and let it cook until it's nice and bubbly, just like this:
w091027beardpumppiekelwork_0033


Remove it from the heat and stir in milk:
w091027beardpumppiekelwork_0041


And chicken broth:
w091027beardpumppiekelwork_0048


Let this heat until it boils for about a minute. You need to stir constantly so it doesn't burn. After that, throw in your veggies:
w091027beardpumppiekelwork_0049


And your chicken, which you should have shredded or cut up. We like to shred:
w091027beardpumppiekelwork_0053


Mix it all together and set it aside. Oh, you should have been preheating your oven to 425. At this point you will either start making the pie crust pastry if you so wish, or if you're like me, you'll grab your ready made pie crust:
w091027beardpumppiekelwork_0055


Open them up and put one in the bottom of your dish. We've used a square 9 inch metal pan before, but then we found a 9 inch round glass dish at IKEA and have designated it the Pot Pie dish, so that's what we use.
w091027beardpumppiekelwork_0059


After that's situated, take your filling and dump it in:
w091027beardpumppiekelwork_0060
Mmmmm.... That looks good already. Smells good, too.


Then top it off with the other crust. I am not fancy with the pie crust edge, I just roll it in.
w091027beardpumppiekelwork_0062


Cut some slits to vent:
w091027beardpumppiekelwork_0064
Why, hello, yummy pie!


Pop it in the oven and in about 35 minutes you'll have one delicious Chicken Pot Pie.
w091027beardpumppiekelwork_0066
This is definitely a favorite of the grown ups at our place. The kids, well, if they weren't so picky, I'm sure they'd like it too.
Hope you enjoyed this How-To Tuesday! Let me know if you make it and what you thought!
Peace.

8 comments:

Grandma Cebe said...

If I thought your Dad would eat something like this, I make it. I can see how you can get creative in what goodies you put in the pot pie. Sounds yummy and a great fall dinner dish.

Kelly said...

I love How To Tuesdays! This looks very yummy. I may have to try it one of these days.

Anonymous said...

This made me soooo hungry!

The Shelton's said...

i have that exact cookbook. i've only used it to make bread. perhaps i will turn the page next time!

Lindsey said...

im not even sure what a colander is.....is that cause for some concern?

Annie Jarman said...

Ha ha ha! That made me laugh out loud, Linds! A colander is the bowl with the holes in it to drain out liquid. :)

Wendy said...

Mmmm, looks good. And hey, did you know you can buy frozen chopped onion? Because you totally can.

Annie Jarman said...

Oooh... frozen chopped onion... I will have to get some! Anything I can do to NOT have to chop onion is a-okay in my book.